The Student Room Group

Am I an awful girlfriend? Would you put up with this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Don't do that!! It's fundamental in Islam to keep the relationship between you and your family good and visit your family/parents often. It's also not Halal to have a boyfriend (especially if he is Christian). I'm not really religious, but when it comes to Halal and Haram, I have to do by what our religion says. I'm 100% sure that your boyfriend might ask for a sleep with you (you know what I mean) and that's a sin in Islam!!

But she said she's not religious neither is her boyfriend. Im not trying to be offensive but religious people should understand that not all of the people want to follow their beliefs. Its better for her to be happy with her boyfriend than being with someone she doesn't like. She isn't hurting anyone and isn't doing anything wrong.
Original post by Sertraline
Im not religious. At all. I dont believe in islam so what is halal or haram is irrelevant to me.

Good on you for using your brain.

The fact that you care that you let your boyfriend down due to your controlling parents indicate that you are a good girlfriend, who is considerate enough to take into account your boyfriend's expectations and feelings.

I would just keep the dating on the down low until you are financially independent. Be respectful to your family, but you should never let family deprive you of pursuing your own life and happiness.
I've been with my boyfriend for about 6 months now. It's the first relationship for both of us; I'm 23 and he's 22.

He's amazing. I feel so blessed to have met such a great guy - he's always so considerate, he looks after me and we get on great with each other's friends. I've met his family and they're all wonderful.

The only thing is, my family are arab/muslim and his family are english/christian (us two are both not religious though). Because of this, my parents are super religious and strict on me - especially because I'm a girl.

My boyfriend has recently graduated so he's currently back at home whilst he searches for jobs. At the moment, we're doing long-distance. I'm currently a student at university, so it's fine when I'm away during term time - I live in a different city when I'm studying - so I can visit my boyfriend when I like.

The problem we're having is that right now, as it's the summer holiday, I'm back in my parent's house and I'm unable to see my boyfriend unless I spin out a huge web of lies with my parents about where I'm going for a few days, and I have to get my older sister involved to cover for me - I essentally pretend I'm visiting her for a few days but instead I'm visiting my boyfriend.

Obviously, this doesn't always work because my sister (she is in her 30s) has her own life and can't always cover for me eg she is out of the country next week.

Because of this, I have to constantly cancel on the plans I make with my boyfriend over the summer as I can't get away from my parents. I feel so bad about it, because my boyfriend always asks me to come visit him and he has all these ideas of things we can do together, and I keep having to cancel it or postpone it at the last minute.

When I get back to uni, seeing each other shouldn't be a problem - it's just when I'm at home.

Am I a bad girlfriend?? Does anyone have advice??

Thanks in advance
Neither of you are religious. You don't owe it to your parents (or him to his) to pretend or whatever. It's just going to have to be tough - for them.

My advice would be to stop canceling plans and start putting your foot down with your parents. At twenty-three, your parents have absolutely no right or place to tell you who you should be in a relationship with. At twenty-three, you need to grow a pair and tell them that you're with this guy, it's tough, and you're going to see him - and that if they don't like it, they can whistle.
You're not a bad girlfriend. You've got genuine reasons for cancelling plans and such like. It's probably frustrating for him but he should understand so long as he knows that your parents are... themselves.

All that said, you are 23 so theoretically you can fob your parents off with very few consequences but I can understand why somebody might not wanna rock the boat.

Original post by Anonymous
Don't do that!! It's fundamental in Islam to keep the relationship between you and your family good and visit your family/parents often. It's also not Halal to have a boyfriend (especially if he is Christian). I'm not really religious, but when it comes to Halal and Haram, I have to do by what our religion says. I'm 100% sure that your boyfriend might ask for a sleep with you (you know what I mean) and that's a sin in Islam!!

Don't give religiously motivated advice when the OP clearly states they're not religious. It is a waste of time.
I've been with my boyfriend for about 6 months now. It's the first relationship for both of us; I'm 23 and he's 22.

He's amazing. I feel so blessed to have met such a great guy - he's always so considerate, he looks after me and we get on great with each other's friends. I've met his family and they're all wonderful.

The only thing is, my family are arab/muslim and his family are english/christian (us two are both not religious though). Because of this, my parents are super religious and strict on me - especially because I'm a girl.

My boyfriend has recently graduated so he's currently back at home whilst he searches for jobs. At the moment, we're doing long-distance. I'm currently a student at university, so it's fine when I'm away during term time - I live in a different city when I'm studying - so I can visit my boyfriend when I like.

The problem we're having is that right now, as it's the summer holiday, I'm back in my parent's house and I'm unable to see my boyfriend unless I spin out a huge web of lies with my parents about where I'm going for a few days, and I have to get my older sister involved to cover for me - I essentally pretend I'm visiting her for a few days but instead I'm visiting my boyfriend.

Obviously, this doesn't always work because my sister (she is in her 30s) has her own life and can't always cover for me eg she is out of the country next week.

Because of this, I have to constantly cancel on the plans I make with my boyfriend over the summer as I can't get away from my parents. I feel so bad about it, because my boyfriend always asks me to come visit him and he has all these ideas of things we can do together, and I keep having to cancel it or postpone it at the last minute.

When I get back to uni, seeing each other shouldn't be a problem - it's just when I'm at home.

Thanks in advance

You're not an awful girlfriend you just have awful parents. They could also ruin your relationship. Maybe your boyfriend will decide that it isn't worth the effort. I think that you need to find a way to demand what you want. What will your parents do if you leave the house alone other than shout?

Just curious do they force you to wear a head scarf? Not that I have an issue with it but it sucks if you don't have the choice.

Thanks in advance

No you are a good gf. The worst girlfriends are those that cheat. You seem to care for him, keep it up :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Cicilaw
no I'm sure he'll understand :smile:It's really difficult with this, but you'll have to remember you're an adult, and at some point you will have to come clean and maybe talk about it (as long as that isn't completely dangerous or damaging for anyone in the picture).It depends on whether you're willing to lose something, because unfortunately it does seem like it's between him and your parents. Maybe if you sort things out, when you graduate you could stay with her??Did your sister have boyfriends/is she married now?

She used to be married, but then divorced because her ex husband was abusive. She dates and stuff but obviously hasn't told my parents about it
My parents are extremely backwards and overly religious- when im home, they like to control everything i do, and they believe a single girl shouldnt be travelling around unaccompanied as she might lose her "dignity". Doesnt really make sense as they let me live away during term time. When i questioned them they said they "gave the blind eye" as im studying a well respected and competitive course which has tough entry requirements.

Yeah I was just gonna say..your parents may be very backwards but they're okay with you living away for uni, which I think you're lucky to be able to do. I certainly wouldn't be able to. However, that also doesn't make sense because if they're okay with you studying away from home then why would they think it's a problem for a unmarried girl to be travelling alone?
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
Good on you for using your brain.

Because she doesn't believe in Islam?
Reply 29
Original post by Safiya122
Yeah I was just gonna say..your parents may be very backwards but they're okay with you living away for uni, which I think you're lucky to be able to do. I certainly wouldn't be able to. However, that also doesn't make sense because if they're okay with you studying away from home then why would they think it's a problem for a unmarried girl to be travelling alone?

Theyre hypocritical. They said if I was studying something different they'd make me stay at home, but as my course is "respected" they gave a blind eye. They do stuff like this that doesnt make sense all the time. They pick and choose
Reply 30
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
You're not an awful girlfriend you just have awful parents. They could also ruin your relationship. Maybe your boyfriend will decide that it isn't worth the effort. I think that you need to find a way to demand what you want. What will your parents do if you leave the house alone other than shout?

Just curious do they force you to wear a head scarf? Not that I have an issue with it but it sucks if you don't have the choice.

I hope he doesnt :frown: although I wouldn't blame him.

Lol they'd do a lot more than just shout, probably chase me down the street / drag me back into the house by my hair / steal my key so I cant leave etc

They didn't force me to wear a headscarf, but they expect me to dress like a hijabi in every other aspect ie arms and legs fully covered, ass covered with a long top, high necked clothing even in the height of summer. If they forced me to wear a headscarf i would probably just run away instead :redface:
Wait till your back in uni, or you could go in the first week of September and say uni is due to start earlier for you maybe?
She used to be married, but then divorced because her ex husband was abusive. She dates and stuff but obviously hasn't told my parents about it

ok at least you have someone you can fully trust and relate to on this one.

I think if you haven't told himm everything or if he doesn't fully understand make sure you sort that out asap, because he won't be able to guess the extent. 'm not too sure how I can help with this, but good luck with it xx
Youve got some valid opinions but I'd just like to point out that i was born and raised in the uk, and im not with my boyfriend just because he is "western" :lol: there are plenty of arab guys in the uk who are like me, although maybe not as abundant as english guys. It just happened by chance that I ended up with my current boyfriend. If i met an open minded, irreligious arab guy who was just as kind as my current boyfriend instead, it wouldnt have made a difference.

As for my my parents, theyre getting quite old now and by the time i get a job (which obviously wont end up being in my hometown) they wont be able to do much about it when i move away. This relationship might not last for whatever reason, but id like to think that i wouldnt break up with him just because of my backward parents

Well that's another way to do it. I suggested overseas because, with the proper degree [i'm an electrical engineer], you can do quite well in putting some money together, and not being dependent upon your relatives. I spent 3 years overseas, and returned to the D.C. area and bought a house with the proceeds. I bought my house with my own (overseas) money, and had some left over to invest. Cheers.
I hope he doesnt :frown: although I wouldn't blame him.

Lol they'd do a lot more than just shout, probably chase me down the street / drag me back into the house by my hair / steal my key so I cant leave etc

They didn't force me to wear a headscarf, but they expect me to dress like a hijabi in every other aspect ie arms and legs fully covered, ass covered with a long top, high necked clothing even in the height of summer. If they forced me to wear a headscarf i would probably just run away instead :redface:

Surely if somebody saw your parents doing that they would be screwed over.
Reply 35
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Surely if somebody saw your parents doing that they would be screwed over.

Doubt it, not on my street anyway. Most people keep themselves to themselves
Reply 36
Original post by zaraiqbal18
Wait till your back in uni, or you could go in the first week of September and say uni is due to start earlier for you maybe?

That's what I'm doing, I just feel bad having to go through the whole summer constantly cancelling on my boyfriend
Reply 37
Original post by Rabbit2
Well that's another way to do it. I suggested overseas because, with the proper degree [i'm an electrical engineer], you can do quite well in putting some money together, and not being dependent upon your relatives. I spent 3 years overseas, and returned to the D.C. area and bought a house with the proceeds. I bought my house with my own (overseas) money, and had some left over to invest. Cheers.

Thats great for you! I wish I could move overseas, alas I'm training to work within the NHS so the only other place I'd be able to go are australia / NZ, whilst my boyfriend stays here
Thats great for you! I wish I could move overseas, alas I'm training to work within the NHS so the only other place I'd be able to go are australia / NZ, whilst my boyfriend stays here

My parents are also religious Muslims. Muslim parenrs tend to be very unreasonable in these things. You need to stand up to them. When you start standing up to your parents more, they will start to treat you like an adult. You're 23. Your love life is none of their business. Do what makes you happy.
Do you both have sex?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending