The Student Room Group

Hmrc using wrong tax year

Hi

I am supporting my daughters finance application for the 2017/18 year. I was asked for 2015/16 income details which I gave.

The check with HMRC has thrown up a discrepancy of an exact amount that means the figure HMRC are using is from the 2014/15 tax year.

I am sending in my P60 and SA302 from the 2015/16 year to prove my figures.

Will that be enough? And why the error in the first place? Is this a known issue?

Thanks
Hi Veryhotchocolate,

The evidence you have sent in is the type of evidence we would be looking for however if the income HMRC have returned is for the wrong tax year then it wouldn't resolve the variance. When this happens sometimes they will ask for further evidence from you if they think there is something else that could be provided or they would send the income off to HMRC a second time and use the second figures they return. This means we could be assessing the student's application with incorrect figures.

We have no known issues where HMRC have been returning the wrong income so I would recommend contacting HMRC to advise them that they appear to be confirming income for the 2014-2015 tax year even though we were checking income for the 2015-2016 tax year period. They can advise you about getting this updated. If they do change the figures if you can get a letter from them to confirm the error and send this into us we can look into changing the figures on the assessment.

Thanks
Original post by Laura S SFE
Hi Veryhotchocolate,

The evidence you have sent in is the type of evidence we would be looking for however if the income HMRC have returned is for the wrong tax year then it wouldn't resolve the variance. When this happens sometimes they will ask for further evidence from you if they think there is something else that could be provided or they would send the income off to HMRC a second time and use the second figures they return. This means we could be assessing the student's application with incorrect figures.

We have no known issues where HMRC have been returning the wrong income so I would recommend contacting HMRC to advise them that they appear to be confirming income for the 2014-2015 tax year even though we were checking income for the 2015-2016 tax year period. They can advise you about getting this updated. If they do change the figures if you can get a letter from them to confirm the error and send this into us we can look into changing the figures on the assessment.

Thanks

Thanks

Which department / number do I use to contact HMRc
Original post by Veryhotchocolate
Thanks

Which department / number do I use to contact HMRc

Hi Veryhotchocolate,

The contact details should be on your HMRC documents, payslips or P60
they will probably ask you for your National Insurance Number.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending