The Student Room Group

Can i claim to of got the highest mark in the country?

For Edexcel Politics A level, I achieved 100UMS in all units.
Can I claim to be the BPSTIC? Or do I have to accept that someone might of got higher raw mark, or that many others got 100?

Scroll to see replies

I would imagine that a handful of other people will have got the same as you. But if your ego requires it and it helps you sleep at night, sure. Why not?
Reply 2
Original post by PedanticStudent
I would imagine that a handful of other people will have got the same as you. But if your ego requires it and it helps you sleep at night, sure. Why not?

Its actually for my school. Its a young sixth form and they decided to start claiming it "We taught the BPSTIC" without verification
It feels like a great honour, but I don't want to make it the guarantor of my ego without verification
PS.
I practically failed my other A levels so its a bit of a keepsake
It would be very unwise to do so without any official confirmation that this really is the case. If your school care that much I'm sure they can get in touch with the exam board to check.
Reply 4

😂😂😂
Original post by mvpmb2020
Its actually for my school. Its a young sixth form and they decided to start claiming it "We taught the BPSTIC" without verification
It feels like a great honour, but I don't want to make it the guarantor of my ego without verification
PS.
I practically failed my other A levels so its a bit of a keepsake

I also did not drop a single mark in the business A level exams but I prefer to keep it to myself, but that is just me. (I'm only saying it now to illustrate my point). It is also quite sad that your sixth form has to validate themselves by making such an arrogant claim.

But that is my opinion. You are entitled to think what you like and claim what you like.
Reply 6
I also did not drop a single mark in the business A level exams but I prefer to keep it to myself, but that is just me. (I'm only saying it now to illustrate my point). It is also quite sad that your sixth form has to validate themselves by making such an arrogant claim.

But that is my opinion. You are entitled to think what you like and claim what you like.

Modesty is a social norm instilled in us for the benefit of the bourgeois
Can I claim to be the BPSTIC? Or do I have to accept that someone might of got higher raw mark, or that many others got 100?

Does it matter? Lmao. You got 100 UMS - a lot of people do. Be happy with yourself, you don't need to be the best in the country to prove you're good.
Reply 8
> 100 UMS
>"Claim to of got."
(edited 6 years ago)
100 ums doesnt always mean full marks, so you may not have got full marks, so you can't really claim that imho
Reply 10
Original post by UWS
>100UMS
>"Claim to of got."

Whats your point? You need to get like 95% Raw to get 100 UMS
and the whole point of UMS is to make the marks relative to the performance of others in a given year
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Modesty is a social norm instilled in us for the benefit of the bourgeois

I completely agree.
Reply 12

That you don't have to brag about your grades and claiming that you got the "highest in the country", it proves nothing.
Reply 13
Original post by UWS
That you don't have to brag about your grades and claiming that you got the "highest in the country", it proves nothing.

It Proves I'm a Really Good Student In a particular discipline, actually.

Hmmm...

Absolutely not, but you can claim to be the most arrogant person I've met in a while. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 15
It Proves I'm a Really Good Student In a particular discipline, actually.

You do not need to say "I got the highest mark in the country" to prove that you're good in a subject, simply stating that you got full UMS is enough.
As the poster above me said, just because you got 100 UMS points, it doesn't really necessarily mean you got full marks. I don't know about how marks are awarded for A Level politics, but you could have dropped potentially up to 10 marks (or whatever, depending on what the full UMS cut-off point is).

Also, every year, there are hundreds (and probably even thousands) of people that get full UMS. Especially as they do a modular course, there could be people with full marks. But it really makes no difference either way, as there is almost always going to be at least 1 other person that got the same mark as you, in any given population. Point is, just be happy with what you got :smile:

Also, are SPAG marks awarded for A Level Politics, or is that not a thing anymore? Because what I think you meant is "Can I claim to have got". In the case that they are, you might have dropped 1 or 2 SPAG marks :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
and the whole point of UMS is to make the marks relative to the performance of others in a given year

No, the point is that it's ironic you're claiming to be the top student in a country when you can't even use proper English.
By that logic I'm the best BTEC extended diploma student in the country considering I got 18/18 units at distinction level. 😀

Other people could have gotten a higher raw mark, and it's possible that more people got 100. I got 100, 100 and 97 (sooooo close!) in my A-level Maths, so I wouldn't think you'd be the only one with all 100s. You can't claim you're the best in the country, but saying you got full UMS is impressive nonetheless

Just remember that no university can prove that anyone got more raw marks than you. Take comfort from that.

Quick Reply

Latest