The Student Room Group

D in AS exams

My daughter is crying after she received her AS results. She got D in Chemistry; B in Biology; B in Math and A in Italian language. She has intention to do medicine. Now she is very confused and does know what to do. She is very clever and had 5 A* and 5 A in her GCSE. I would be grateful if someone could advice her of what she should do since she is very passionate about Medicine. In GCSE Chemistry she had A*. She is afraid that she might not realise her passionate dreams. Advice please.
I was on the same boat yesterday, want to dentistry but got A-maths C-chemistry D-biology, however it all depends on the teachers for what they are willing to predict. I never had a teacher for chemistry for 4 months of year (near the end) and so will ask for a prediction 2 grades higher.
Original post by K Francis
My daughter is crying after she received her AS results. She got D in Chemistry; B in Biology; B in Math and A in Italian language. She has intention to do medicine. Now she is very confused and does know what to do. She is very clever and had 5 A* and 5 A in her GCSE. I would be grateful if someone could advice her of what she should do since she is very passionate about Medicine. In GCSE Chemistry she had A*. She is afraid that she might not realise her passionate dreams. Advice please.

Doing medicine at university isn't the only route to uni she should look at biochem courses you can often get in to those if everything goes pear shaped in your a levels then you can do a post graduate thing to become a medic.She also might do better next year her other results are OK it's not the end of the world but i can see why she's sad it's a set back but it's not over yet.
Has she thought about Nursing ,Radiology,midwifery,or she can retake the year which I will not recommend as most med schools do not like retakes, I would say she should apply overseas medical schools even students with the best grades apply overseas
Reply 4
Original post by bigbootyjay
Has she thought about Nursing ,Radiology,midwifery,or she can retake the year which I will not recommend as most med schools do not like retakes, I would say she should apply overseas medical schools even students with the best grades apply overseas

She wants to drop math and continue with chemistry in 2A. She can make it in 2A, but her fear is that her school might not allow her to undertake chemistry in 2A. Besides, she is also afraid of the kind of predictions her teacher might write to UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest