Advice on how to get a solid A*/A in A2 Politics? Watch

SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Advice plz, I got a low A at AS (did nearly perfect on unit 1 but did much worse than I usually do on unit 2). I don't plan on resitting unit 2 so its really up to A2, but I feel like I have lost my confidence in Politics exams now.

I will be doing American Politics
Josh_811
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Advice plz, I got a low A at AS (did nearly perfect on unit 1 but did much worse than I usually do on unit 2). I don't plan on resitting unit 2 so its really up to A2, but I feel like I have lost my confidence in Politics exams now.

I will be doing American Politics
Hi, I also study Government and Politics at A-level and I unfortunately only achieved a mid-level B in my AS exams. With politics being my favourite subject, along with getting solid high A's in my other subjects, this was somewhat disheartening. However, if I get that A* next year I'm guaranteed an A overall, which is what I'll be needing for uni anyways. So really, just don't get too down about your grade, you can achieve the A/A* you want next year.

In terms of advice, well, just keep your notes in order and do lots of exam practice in timed conditions, nothing else will prepare you better than actually sitting practice exams!

Good luck, Josh!
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Josh_811)
Hi, I also study Government and Politics at A-level and I unfortunately only achieved a mid-level B in my AS exams. With politics being my favourite subject, along with getting solid high A's in my other subjects, this was somewhat disheartening. However, if I get that A* next year I'm guaranteed an A overall, which is what I'll be needing for uni anyways. So really, just don't get too down about your grade, you can achieve the A/A* you want next year.

In terms of advice, well, just keep your notes in order and do lots of exam practice in timed conditions, nothing else will prepare you better than actually sitting practice exams!

Good luck, Josh!
Thanks yep, I understand now that I can get an A/A* without resitting . A bit annoying that I somehow messed up unit 2 but thats life and I will use it to motivate myself!!

This year I did more of practing lots of essays and trying to do essay plans for all types of essays. Tbh I think for A2 I need to focus more on the lower marks (I think thats 15markers for A2)
patrickwalters.x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got a C at AS so retook an got an A, then with my results it came out as an A at A2. This was all still achieved in two years so personally I don't reckon resits for the AS are that bad. Just remember your illustrious examples and stick to a certain amount of points then make tables for each possible question. PICK PRESSURE GROUPS it's unbelievably easy on the American side. Literally a Pluralist v Elitist argument is going to come up for the 30 marker each time. Many people find the American side easier than AS also if that helps you!
hyelloh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't do American politics nor do I do know what board you are doing, but I did Edexcel and got a B for AS. Got my A2 result on Thursday and managed to get an A* overall with 98ums in each paper this year. Proves that you don't have to do retakes to get the grade that you want, just revise smartly. I missed out one entire unit of revision for each paper because I knew that you only need to answer questions from 3 units, even though it's safer to learn 4. Both you and Josh can pull it out of the bag so long as you have the dedication!

I know that with Edexcel for 4 unit subjects you only need at least 320 ums overall to get an A and you can get an A* so long as you score over 90% ums in your A2 papers. Good luck!
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by patrickwalters.x)
I got a C at AS so retook an got an A, then with my results it came out as an A at A2. This was all still achieved in two years so personally I don't reckon resits for the AS are that bad. Just remember your illustrious examples and stick to a certain amount of points then make tables for each possible question. PICK PRESSURE GROUPS it's unbelievably easy on the American side. Literally a Pluralist v Elitist argument is going to come up for the 30 marker each time. Many people find the American side easier than AS also if that helps you!
Thanks I hope its much more interesting, the problem with unit 2 is that I didn't find it as interesting as unit 1 .

(Original post by hyelloh)
I didn't do American politics nor do I do know what board you are doing, but I did Edexcel and got a B for AS. Got my A2 result on Thursday and managed to get an A* overall with 98ums in each paper this year. Proves that you don't have to do retakes to get the grade that you want, just revise smartly. I missed out one entire unit of revision for each paper because I knew that you only need to answer questions from 3 units, even though it's safer to learn 4. Both you and Josh can pull it out of the bag so long as you have the dedication!

I know that with Edexcel for 4 unit subjects you only need at least 320 ums overall to get an A and you can get an A* so long as you score over 90% ums in your A2 papers. Good luck!
Thanks I do edexcel, and I won't be doing a retake
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go on the youtube channel Crash Course and they have US politics videos you can watch to help you understand the different concepts congrats on your A!
isobelxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not sure if this is too late a contribution to be valuable, but after only just getting an A on one of my AS papers in 2016 yet scoring highly in the other (almost the exact same situation but my unit 2 was near perfect and my unit 1 was low!) I was concerned about whether or not I could achieve an A* at A2 but I managed it!

I would honestly say that my top tip for American politics is just to constantly read news and websites which will keep you updated on what's going on. I constantly had CNN updates coming through to my phone and would also catch up on the website for around 20 minutes a day, but I also read websites such as Breitbart and Fox just to give me a wide view on ideologies and events and how they were viewed.

Exam practice is really important for politics as well. To score highly and to achieve an A* you really need to be getting near top marks in the 15 mark questions, so I would practice lots of those and coming up with 4 strong points. Not saying neglect the 45 mark essays entirely - you should definitely plan these and I found the mark schemes the most beneficial things to understand what the examiners are looking for - but the A2 paper is obviously a different format to the AS and your 3 15 markers will be equivalent to the essay, so can be a very valuable way of gaining the top marks! Edexcel have a tendency to repeat their questions every few years and there's really only a certain amount of things they can ask about, so by doing lots of past papers I was noticing trends but I was also able to practice things repeatedly so they were basically tattooed on my brain! But as much as exam practice can help you, you really need to be secure on your content and recent examples which will really show the examiner your engagement with the subject, which is why I think keeping up to date with news is so helpful.

Hope this was helpful and good luck this year!
Zillaabonbillaa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for this useful information, im retaking AS and doing A2 American Politics AQA exam board. i'm looking for a study buddy as i found this effective for my other studies.
naomi.carter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zillaabonbillaa)
Thank you for this useful information, im retaking AS and doing A2 American Politics AQA exam board. i'm looking for a study buddy as i found this effective for my other studies.
I'm doing AQA politics too, but just starting AS now. I'm really worried about the fact we have a new spec, which means no one will know exactly how to approach it - and I'm also concerned about the amount of content. How did you best learn it all, and was it tedious? I can drop it if I think I won't like it but I only have until Monday...
ughh.hannah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tbh just very detailed examples, like don't try to wing it because you'll crash and burn )
Zillaabonbillaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by naomi.carter)
I'm doing AQA politics too, but just starting AS now. I'm really worried about the fact we have a new spec, which means no one will know exactly how to approach it - and I'm also concerned about the amount of content. How did you best learn it all, and was it tedious? I can drop it if I think I won't like it but I only have until Monday...
How are you managing?
Xxlsx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you dont mind me asking, what grade did you get for your unit 2 because i dont know if i can get an A grade overall if i do really good in A2 but with an A in unit 2 and a C in unit 1...
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Xxlsx)
If you dont mind me asking, what grade did you get for your unit 2 because i dont know if i can get an A grade overall if i do really good in A2 but with an A in unit 2 and a C in unit 1...
I got 98 ums in unit 1 and 66 ums in unit 2 = 164 ums = an A in AS politics (160 needed for A), I think I just got really unlucky tbh had a bad day on unit 2, im not retaking
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
How are you managing?
(Original post by Xxlsx)
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
I got 98 ums in unit 1 and 66 ums in unit 2 = 164 ums = an A in AS politics (160 needed for A), I think I just got really unlucky tbh had a bad day on unit 2, im not retaking
Hi. where can we find concrete examples for every topic for the old spec known as legacy papers ? AS and A2 (US Politics)? there is simply no time to study properly from scratch by reading the textbook so I think the best thing is to simply study the notes and examples for each topic. Please help. Thanks.
Zillaabonbillaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by naomi.carter)
sorry for the late reply, how is it going? did you drop it? im not doing the new spec, as i took as last year
Zillaabonbillaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Audrey18)
Hi. where can we find concrete examples for every topic for the old spec known as legacy papers ? AS and A2 (US Politics)? there is simply no time to study properly from scratch by reading the textbook so I think the best thing is to simply study the notes and examples for each topic. Please help. Thanks.
As is much easier than its been made out to be, i can send you examplar essays for them. i m struggling on a2 politics, still looking for them
90'S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys i've created Politics whatsapp group 2018 where we can help eacthother send materials etc since exams are approaching. If you would me to add you u PLEASE do not hestate dm your numbers. I created the group because i want and i believed we are ALL capable of achieving the grades we want, if we work hard and smart as a team.

So please dm me your numbers if you're interested.
90'S
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As is much easier than its been made out to be, i can send you examplar essays for them. i m struggling on a2 politics, still looking for them

Hi i've created Politics whatsapp group 2018 where we can help eacthother send materials etc since exams are approaching. If you would me to add you u PLEASE do not hestate dm your numbers. I created the group because i want and i believed we are ALL capable of achieving the grades we want, if we work hard and smart as a team.

90'S
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Audrey18)
Hi guys i've created Politics whatsapp group 2018 where we can help eacthother send materials etc since exams are approaching. If you would me to add you u PLEASE do not hestate dm your numbers. I created the group because i want and i believed we are ALL capable of achieving the grades we want, if we work hard and smart as a team.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?