Which are the best Maths & F.Maths modules to study simultaneously?

Watch
JaredzzC
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I unfortunately found myself in the position of not getting into either of my unis which I have come to terms with because someone who wasn't as determined as I had been throughout Year 13 and didn't persevere doesn't deserve a place at uni, especially those that I applied to.

I have decided to take this year out to focus on improving my grades for a-level maths and self-studying further maths. (Applying for Aerospace Engineering)

I got a B at AS and a D at A2. I'm aware that with these grades it's extremely questionable to be studying further maths and highly advised to not do it, but I would like to give it a go. I will be retaking my AS modules as well to try and secure as much UMS as I can.

Maths modules: C1,C2,C3,C4,M1 (Did S1 although I was very content with the UMS so I wont be re-taking)
F.Maths modules: FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,S2

Trying to decide between S3 or M3.
For Engineering then no doubt M3 would help, although I've heard from friends and read many posts saying that M3 onwards is a nightmare which is what worries me, so I feel it may be more beneficial to choose S3.

My school taught Maths one year then F.Maths the next year although I know some schools teach both the AS courses in first year then A2 courses the next year which is the layout I hope to do.

I was thinking:
C1,C2 & FP1 simultaneously
C3, M1 & M2
C4, FP2, S2
FP3 & S3

Not really sure where the stats modules would fit in. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which exam board?
username2424985
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JaredzzC)
I unfortunately found myself in the position of not getting into either of my unis which I have come to terms with because someone who wasn't as determined as I had been throughout Year 13 and didn't persevere doesn't deserve a place at uni, especially those that I applied to.

I have decided to take this year out to focus on improving my grades for a-level maths and self-studying further maths. (Applying for Aerospace Engineering)

I got a B at AS and a D at A2. I'm aware that with these grades it's extremely questionable to be studying further maths and highly advised to not do it, but I would like to give it a go. I will be retaking my AS modules as well to try and secure as much UMS as I can.

Maths modules: C1,C2,C3,C4,M1 (Did S1 although I was very content with the UMS so I wont be re-taking)
F.Maths modules: FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,S2

Trying to decide between S3 or M3.
For Engineering then no doubt M3 would help, although I've heard from friends and read many posts saying that M3 onwards is a nightmare which is what worries me, so I feel it may be more beneficial to choose S3.

My school taught Maths one year then F.Maths the next year although I know some schools teach both the AS courses in first year then A2 courses the next year which is the layout I hope to do.

I was thinking:
C1,C2 & FP1 simultaneously
C3, M1 & M2
C4, FP2, S2
FP3 & S3

Not really sure where the stats modules would fit in. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I just finished Y12. We did C1, C2 and D1 for Maths, and FP1, S1 and S2 for Further. I also did D2 myself just for ***** and giggles! I don't want to apply for any stats or maths/stats courses, but I LOVED S2, we started a bit of S3 this year and our teacher says it's genuinely easier than S2 (I found S2 easier than S1 as well, paradoxically). D1 and D2 are actually quite straight forward (if you have a good grasp of D1, I'd even say that D2 is a bit easier). We're doing C3, C4 and M1 next year for Maths, and FP2, S3 and M2 for Further - I imagine that for any engineering courses, M1 and 2 probably suffice (you have got Physics, right?). FP1 was great once I got my head round some harder stuff, which happened about halfway through the year - I'd recommend seeking tutoring from anyone able to help you with FP1, either teacher or student, because getting someone else to explain things in person helped immensely. I'm pretty sure you can take either FP2 or FP3, and both follow on form FP1 so you don't need to do FP2 before FP3 - not sure if that is in fact the case, you'd have to check, but if it is you might like to consider doing D1 instead of one of them.

Hope that helped
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
(Original post by black1blade)
Which exam board?
Oh, sorry! OCR MEI.
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
(Original post by plklupu)
I just finished Y12. We did C1, C2 and D1 for Maths, and FP1, S1 and S2 for Further. I also did D2 myself just for ***** and giggles! I don't want to apply for any stats or maths/stats courses, but I LOVED S2, we started a bit of S3 this year and our teacher says it's genuinely easier than S2 (I found S2 easier than S1 as well, paradoxically). D1 and D2 are actually quite straight forward (if you have a good grasp of D1, I'd even say that D2 is a bit easier). We're doing C3, C4 and M1 next year for Maths, and FP2, S3 and M2 for Further - I imagine that for any engineering courses, M1 and 2 probably suffice (you have got Physics, right?). FP1 was great once I got my head round some harder stuff, which happened about halfway through the year - I'd recommend seeking tutoring from anyone able to help you with FP1, either teacher or student, because getting someone else to explain things in person helped immensely. I'm pretty sure you can take either FP2 or FP3, and both follow on form FP1 so you don't need to do FP2 before FP3 - not sure if that is in fact the case, you'd have to check, but if it is you might like to consider doing D1 instead of one of them.

Hope that helped
Thanks a lot, that was of great help! I'm kind of the same with stats. I actually find it a little boring at times but still prefer it over mechanics (even though I find mechanics much more interesting). I was least confident with my stats out of all of my modules and yet my stats was the best mark out of all of them which is why I think stats would probably be better for me. Yea, I will be doing physics as well so hopefully it should all fall into place, but that scary M3 is what is worrying me. I feel I may get myself a tutor throughout the year if I feel as though it isn't going as well as planned but there are plenty of resources online and textbooks but of course it's never quite the same as face to face tuition. I'm really into pure/core maths so I'm quite adamant on taking FP2 and 3.

Edit: tagging Notnek
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
Bump.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (35)
29.41%
No (84)
70.59%

Watched Threads