The Student Room Group

Reading material for Chemistry (personal statement)

I just finished my AS Levels and I really want to take chemistry for university. I am thinking of applying for a variety of chemistry degrees ranging from chemical engineering to pharmaceutical studies so i'm not sure whether to buy specific books.

Thanks
Original post by Juvanile
I just finished my AS Levels and I really want to take chemistry for university. I am thinking of applying for a variety of chemistry degrees ranging from chemical engineering to pharmaceutical studies so i'm not sure whether to buy specific books.

Thanks

The classic for chemistry applicants is 'why chemical reactions happen' by Keeler and Wothers. It can be quite a step to try and understand it at sixth form, but if you persevere and actually understand the contents of the book then it will give you something to discuss in interview.

I also read one of the oxford chemistry primers, but they are often quite difficult to understand at sixth form.

Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre is more pharma related and is quite interesting :smile:
Original post by Juvanile

Thanks

It is not been a while - three weeks ago to be exact - that I bought a book about the structures of molecules about different kinds, so pharmacy, medicine, toxicology, scents etc. to name but a few. With many pictures and understandable explanations to it, this is a recommendation for everyone who would love to know the chemical structures and their impacts. It is Theodor Gray: molecules.

Although, it is surely not suited for studying, it may help to get an understanding for yourself nonetheless. Anyway, a good book for beginners
I didn't actually buy a specific book for chemistry, but I mentioned I read the Compound Interest blog.

I also read Alex's Adventures in Numberland (I did say how I liked how maths can be used in chemistry).

Quick Reply

Latest