The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Oxbridge with A*A*A*?

Hi everyone,

I applied to Cambridge to study Economics for the 2017 entry this year (with A*A*A* predictions) but I was unfortunately rejected after interview. I was also rejected by Warwick but I received an A*AA offer from UCL. I couldn't apply to LSE because they considered my subject combination too narrow.

I'm very happy to say that on results day I received an A* in Maths with 598/600 UMS, A* in Further Maths with 551/600 UMS and an A* in Economics with good raw marks in relation to the grade boundaries.

Now, I know UCL is an excellent university and their Economics course is similarly fantastic but I was wondering whether it would be advisable for me to reapply to Oxbridge with these grades, would I have a strong chance of getting in?

In prestige terms Oxford and Cambridge seem to rank above UCL for most subjects (including Economics) whilst LSE is also more prestigious than UCL for economics, from what I can tell. Warwick is around on par from what I can see. So if I could get into Oxford, Cambridge or LSE I'd probably take that over UCL.

Whilst I'm reapplying I'd probably do A2 politics (already got A at AS with 178/200 UMS) and another full A level if I could, in order to widen my subject combination especially for LSE.

I'd likely apply to Oxford or Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick and an insurance. If I didn't get into Oxbridge is it near certain that I'd get into at least one of LSE, Warwick and UCL? If it's a big risk that I wouldn't get an offer from any of the top 5 then I'll take up my offer for UCL this year.

My GCSEs are 7A* 3A and 1B if that's important.

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Mediokrity
Hi everyone,

I applied to Cambridge to study Economics for the 2017 entry this year (with A*A*A* predictions) but I was unfortunately rejected after interview. I was also rejected by Warwick but I received an A*AA offer from UCL. I couldn't apply to LSE because they considered my subject combination too narrow.

I'm very happy to say that on results day I received an A* in Maths with 598/600 UMS, A* in Further Maths with 551/600 UMS and an A* in Economics with good raw marks in relation to the grade boundaries.

Now, I know UCL is an excellent university and their Economics course is similarly fantastic but I was wondering whether it would be advisable for me to reapply to Oxbridge with these grades, would I have a strong chance of getting in?

In prestige terms Oxford and Cambridge seem to rank above UCL for most subjects (including Economics) whilst LSE is also more prestigious than UCL for economics, from what I can tell. Warwick is around on par from what I can see. So if I could get into Oxford, Cambridge or LSE I'd probably take that over UCL.

Whilst I'm reapplying I'd probably do A2 politics (already got A at AS with 178/200 UMS) and another full A level if I could, in order to widen my subject combination especially for LSE.

I'd likely apply to Oxford or Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick and an insurance. If I didn't get into Oxbridge is it near certain that I'd get into at least one of LSE, Warwick and UCL? If it's a big risk that I wouldn't get an offer from any of the top 5 then I'll take up my offer for UCL this year.

My GCSEs are 7A* 3A and 1B if that's important.

Thanks for your help!

Did you get interview feedback?
I mean, if you want to, go for it. You seem to have thought about it quite a bit, and I'm sure with A*A*A* you'll get an offer from at least one of your choices. Just make sure that this is what you want to do, and be prepared for rejection from oxford / cambridge, as that is still a possibility.
Similarly, I also got 3A* and I'm applying to Oxbridge, but only because I wanted to take a gap year. If I was you I'd go UCL to be honest. I hate the obssession over prestige, but, do what you think is right. I would only advise that you take a year off if you actually want one anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Immunology
Did you get interview feedback?

Yes. There was a maths exercise which I performed very badly on. Half of it was to do with nerves but the question did throw me off, it was really difficult and different. Apparently I responded well to the other questions. There was also a lot of mention of the international competitiveness of the course. The feedback was annoyingly kind though, I remember thinking that I'd done awfully in the interviews. Also I think I did badly in the entrance exam although I'm not sure how I did relatively, there wasn't any mention of it in my rejection feedback.
Reply 5
Original post by innerspeakers
I mean, if you want to, go for it. You seem to have thought about it quite a bit, and I'm sure with A*A*A* you'll get an offer from at least one of your choices. Just make sure that this is what you want to do, and be prepared for rejection from oxford / cambridge, as that is still a possibility.

Yeah. Rejection from Oxbridge would still be pretty likely, I'm just thinking it'd be worth another shot and my chances may have increased on last year. Also, if I didn't get into Oxbridge but got into LSE that could still be a progression.
Reply 6
You can study in a **** uni and still come out as a best. Studying and succeeding is 90% dependent on you. Nowadays, people apply to Cambridge/oxf just to feel more important.
Reply 7
Original post by PoliticsandP
Similarly, I also got 3A* and I'm applying to Oxbridge, but only because I wanted to take a gap year. If I was you I'd go UCL to be honest. I hate the obssession over prestige, but, do what you think is right. I would only advise that you take a year off if you actually want one anyway.

I don't like the obsession over prestige but I worry employers in the future may favour an Oxbridge degree over a UCL degree if it came down to it but UCL is very prestigious in itself.

I'm in two minds about taking another year out, it could be nice for me to have a break as it's been intense for the past two years. My parents definitely don't want me to stay for another year.

Original post by MaleVip
You can study in a **** uni and still come out as a best. Studying and succeeding is 90% dependent on you. Nowadays, people apply to Cambridge/oxf just to feel more important.

I know, I hope I've got the drive to succeed. I'd just be applying to Oxbridge to improve my prospects in the long term, although I'm not sure if it'd make a significant difference to my prospects as UCL is excellent as well.
If you really want to go to Oxbridge and you have an idea for how you can spend your gap year productively (something that will look good on your CV) then sure, but if you re-apply to Cambridge then you should pick a different college this time.
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
If you really want to go to Oxbridge and you have an idea for how you can spend your gap year productively (something that will look good on your CV) then sure, but if you re-apply to Cambridge then you should pick a different college this time.

I definitely need to look into how I could spend a gap year productively especially with the view of improving my CV.

I've had my heart set on Oxbridge for a while although doubts have been creeping in recently.

If I applied to Cambridge again I'd definitely choose another college.
Original post by Mediokrity
I definitely need to look into how I could spend a gap year productively especially with the view of improving my CV.

I've had my heart set on Oxbridge for a while although doubts have been creeping in recently.

If I applied to Cambridge again I'd definitely choose another college.

I remember a few years ago there was a guy on here who spent his gap year studying economics at the Humboldt Universität zu Berlin in Germany before starting his Cambridge degree. I thought that was quite impressive, but a job or an internship would be just as good.

Latest

Trending

Trending