Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

im at a slight dilemma over whether to pick manchester or bristol as my 4th medschool. mmmmm there are a few reasons so i might take this opportunity to include my life story...

for GCSE i got A*, 4 A's, 5 B's and C
    after this disappointment i decided to work and got straight A's in all my subjects at AS level ie. Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics... [and GS :rolleyes: ]

I've done one week work experience at the hospital with a doctor
    and one week at a GP's surgery with a GP
    I've also done voluntary work at a community centre and at a disabled care home. In addition, i do many other things through school such as RAF.

I was just seeking advice with reference to which university i should pick. I would like bristol, but i've heard it is very hard to get into and i dont know if my GCSE grades will be good enough. Furthermore, i am a public school boy and have heard that they discriminate against people who are privately educated for whatever reason. In light of this, do you think it would be wiser to apply to manchester? ...as i perceive it to be easier for a person like me to gain entry to for medicine...

I would appreciate anybodys help or comment, or even criticism.
    thanks

Naveed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed)
    Hi,

im at a slight dilemma over whether to pick manchester or bristol as my 4th medschool. mmmmm there are a few reasons so i might take this opportunity to include my life story...

for GCSE i got A*, 4 A's, 5 B's and C
    after this disappointment i decided to work and got straight A's in all my subjects at AS level ie. Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics... [and GS :rolleyes: ]

I've done one week work experience at the hospital with a doctor
    and one week at a GP's surgery with a GP
    I've also done voluntary work at a community centre and at a disabled care home. In addition, i do many other things through school such as RAF.

I was just seeking advice with reference to which university i should pick. I would like bristol, but i've heard it is very hard to get into and i dont know if my GCSE grades will be good enough. Furthermore, i am a public school boy and have heard that they discriminate against people who are privately educated for whatever reason. In light of this, do you think it would be wiser to apply to manchester? ...as i perceive it to be easier for a person like me to gain entry to for medicine...

I would appreciate anybodys help or comment, or even criticism.
    thanks

Naveed
    hi there,

i'm a bristol soon-to-be 2nd year medical student so can answer your questions as regards bristol. firstly, i wouldn't say bristol is 'harder to get in to' than Manchester, however bristol relies a lot upon qualifications and the UCAS form -as they only interview a small fraction of their applicants compared to manchester.

both are well respected medical schools (me being biased towards bristol prefers the red-brick 'traditional' look and atmosphere, also the city bristol in general).

your GCSE grades are a bit below average, but your AS-levels should make up for that. try and build upon work experience as well as positions of responsibility - although your work experience seems sufficient and can always be made to look brilliant in a PS by a different style of writing )

there is no way that they discriminate against people who are privately educated. bristol has the third highest private/public school percentage of all universities in the country. don't believe everything the papers say, if anything i'd say that they "no longer discriminate against people who aren't privately educated". also, over 50% of the medics are independent school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    hi there,

i'm a bristol soon-to-be 2nd year medical student so can answer your questions as regards bristol. firstly, i wouldn't say bristol is 'harder to get in to' than Manchester, however bristol relies a lot upon qualifications and the UCAS form -as they only interview a small fraction of their applicants compared to manchester.

both are well respected medical schools (me being biased towards bristol prefers the red-brick 'traditional' look and atmosphere, also the city bristol in general).

your GCSE grades are a bit below average, but your AS-levels should make up for that. try and build upon work experience as well as positions of responsibility - although your work experience seems sufficient and can always be made to look brilliant in a PS by a different style of writing )

there is no way that they discriminate against people who are privately educated. bristol has the third highest private/public school percentage of all universities in the country. don't believe everything the papers say, if anything i'd say that they "no longer discriminate against people who aren't privately educated". also, over 50% of the medics are independent school.
    HEHE now you've had the bristol bias, time for some manchester bias.

I would also disagree that Bristol is harder to get into than manchester, all medical schools are fairly hard to get into. Even with your GCSE grades, as long as you continue to work hard you should have no problem in gaining a place somewhere.

What I will say is that you should definately not just apply to a medical school just because you think it will be easier to get into, when you get your final grades you may regret doing so, I did regret some of my choices as i applied to schools where I thought I would get into, fortuantely my first choice always was and still would be Manchester.

Manchester is an excellent amazing vibrant city!!! IMO the medical school is excellent and the course is ever improving.

Whichever you decide, make it the right decision, even if it is Bristol, if you have any particular questions dont hesitate to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    HEHE now you've had the bristol bias, time for some manchester bias.
    oh i forgot about you going to manchester

it's hard to slate manchester university so i can't really argue otherwise .

*digs up underhand coronation street and "up north" stereotypes*

ReputationRep:
    oh i forgot about you going to manchester

it's hard to slate manchester university so i can't really argue otherwise .

*digs up underhand coronation street and "up north" stereotypes*
    It's also hard to slate Bristol from my point of view, except of course for the fact it's in the south! *awaits barage of criticsim*

They are both excellent med schools, toss a coin :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    It's also hard to slate Bristol from my point of view, except of course for the fact it's in the south! *awaits barage of criticsim*

They are both excellent med schools, toss a coin :P
    but he's public school. wouldn't want to go mixing with all the up-north poverty-stricken poor people

remember, it's 'scone', not 'scon'.

ReputationRep:
    but he's public school. wouldn't want to go mixing with all the up-north poverty-stricken poor people

remember, it's 'scone', not 'scon'.
    HAHA! everyone up north thinks im strange cos I say scone :confused:
    Oh it always rains in manchester......this is good because.....oh no wait.... GOTO Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    HAHA! everyone up north thinks im strange cos I say scone :confused:
    Oh it always rains in manchester......this is good because.....oh no wait.... GOTO Bristol
    it rains in bristol too must be all the hills. and one of our hospitals is famous world-wide :cool:

for the bristol heart scandal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaolin'sfinest)
    My advice is to steer clear of both places. Let's face it - would you like to run into either of these two arsebandits on a dark, cold night?
    If it was that dark and cold then you'd probably end up ill and therefore probably wouldnt mind bumping into anyone to look after you.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to steer clear of both places. Let's face it - would you like to run into either of these two arsebandits on a dark, cold night?
    probably better than running into your mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    If it was that dark and cold then you'd probably end up ill and therefore probably wouldnt mind bumping into anyone to look after you.
    Not likely. My immune system is fine thank you. A shame about you two though, have you started to lose weight yet?

ReputationRep:
    Not likely. My immune system is fine thank you. A shame about you two though, have you started to lose weight yet?
    quite.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your replies, they've been most helpful.
    i think i will apply to bristol after all though i will speak to teachers at school about it. its also further away from my house than my other choices [sheffield, leeds and newcastle].. i live in nottingham...
    i always bear in mind that medicine is a bit of a gamble for me but i feel that if i dont at least try, i will always regret it.

ooh yeah, one more Q, will unis be able to see your AS grades? since mine would look quite nice and perhaps they good old admissions tutors may look more favourably upon my application than they would with just my gcse grades alone...

thanks

naveed

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your replies, they've been most helpful.
    i think i will apply to bristol after all though i will speak to teachers at school about it. its also further away from my house than my other choices [sheffield, leeds and newcastle].. i live in nottingham...
    i put notts as my insurance, it was too far away from me to get full consideration but i did enjoy medlink!

i always bear in mind that medicine is a bit of a gamble for me but i feel that if i dont at least try, i will always regret it.
    very true, and it's hardly as if you got crap AS-grades so don't worry. besides, if you *really* want to do it, nothing can stand in your way in the long run.

ooh yeah, one more Q, will unis be able to see your AS grades? since mine would look quite nice and perhaps they good old admissions tutors may look more favourably upon my application than they would with just my gcse grades alone...
    yes, usually.

ReputationRep:
    can't thank you enough, really 'preciate ur replies.
    right now i'm off to bed... i start upper 6th tommorrow :eek:

naveed

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.