The Student Room Group

What should I study for ALevel

Hi, i want to study law in university and for GCSE i'm talking German, History, Psychology and Religious Studies along with the core subjects. Although im sure about what i want to study in the future, i am not sure which subjects in ALevel would be ideal for a future law student. I do go to a grammar school so they have most options. Please help me to decide what to choose.
Reply 1
I would definitely consider english literature and history, possibly politics or german as a third a level as they're all quite essay based subjects. Instead of politics/german you could consider another facilitating subject, any of the sciences, maths, or psychology would be good if you want to keep your options open or if you prefer having a slight variety of subjects.
History is typically considered one of the best preparations for essay based subjects at uni. English literature is suitable, but unless you particular enjoy it I don't think it conveys quite the advantage as history - you would be just as well doing e.g. classics, economics, geography etc, as english lit. Of course the STEM subjects are an option, if you have an interest and aptitude in them - Law accepts any subject combination realistically, and sciences are relevant as STEM is very closely linked to aspects of IP law, in particular patent law (although you needn't actually have a law degree to become a patent attorney).

Economics may be of interest, is applicable as it's an analytical essay based subject, and relevant as corporate law is a huge field, and much legislation (on the political side) comes about relating to this, or based on macroeconomic modelling. Geography is similarly relevant, as again, it's an analytical essay subject and aspects of the environment come up in many legally relevant ways - from environmental protection laws, to health law, to planning, real estate, and other aspects of land law, it is in many ways related. Politics is also relevant in the same ways, but is less specific than either of the above.

Languages are always valued, be it classical or modern - modern languages being more useful theoretically, although practically they will make no difference. Classical languages aren't quite as useful since the rework to remove the Latin phrasing from British law, although if you're interested in legal scholarship and enjoy Latin, it's not a bad option and may be useful when reviewing old sources without having to have a reference.

Law is acceptable by most as a third or fourth option, despite what the majority say on here. It's not particularly useful in providing and form of context as with the social sciences detailed above, and may be viewed as "softer" by some universities so is best taken with several of the more reputed subjects listed above. However, if you're not entirely certain, it could be a useful litmus test to see if you did want to continue in the area - for example if you very much enjoy languages, or the sciences, but also want to consider law. Psychology and Sociology are less obviously useful, although to relate in some respects (the latter more so, in the sense of analysis of the social forces that give rise to crime). These are somewhat varied in their reception, although sociology tends to be viewed as a bit softer, so is better in addition to the above - I wouldn't recommend e.g. Law, Sociology and another if you intend to apply to the top 5 courses. Other things such as Religious Studies, Philosophy, Classics as mentioned above, Ancient History and the like are also generally acceptable but you're best taking some of the "hard" subjects to ensure you have a suitably academically demanding portfolio - which is the main criteria they will consider.
What does your school offer? I know you said they offer most things but I've only found one other college offering one of my options. As everyone is saying, have at least one essay based subject. I'd say go for an essay based subject, a STEM subject, and then another one that interests you. If you can do an EPQ do it.

Quick Reply

Latest