How can I get my boyfriend to lose weight?!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Before I start I know the automatic response will be to tell me what a shallow and judgemental person I am... but hear me out!

We've been together 4 years and he is 29 I'm 26. When we met he was skinny and relatively active - used to cycle a lot.

Fast forward 4 years and he has gained somewhere in the region of 3 stone in weight. This has mainly all gone to his face and belly.

I haven't gained - in fact I've lost half a stone so it's not just the normal weight gain you experience in a new relationship.

We live together and eat mainly the same meals but the problem is he is buying food at work. He says he wants to change (honestly he's been saying this for the past 2 years) but his weight only ever goes up, not down.

I'm worried as his family all struggle with their weight, his dad is ill (heart problems probably linked to weight) and his sister suffers from depression which I am guessing is partly due to her weight problems.

I'm very active and exercise almost every day - but he refuses point blank to join me at the gym as he is "self conscious". He bought a bike but hasn't used it once. I cook really healthy tasty meals but he'll eat it then the next day get a greggs because he "didn't have time to make lunch".

None of his clothes fit him but he doesn't buy more - just wears tops that barely cover his large stomach.

I'm aware it's shallow but I don't find him physically appealing any more - he looks unhealthy. We haven't had sex in months because I can't see past this.

I'm at the point where I'm going to have to give him an ultimatum but I just need to know what's the best way of encouraging him to shift this weight?! I've tried EVERYTHING and I can't be his babysitter.
Ifonly...
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
He is in 'the comfort zone'. 20 years to early.

If your not happy, and he will not curb the eating, give him the 'spanish archer'.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Ifonly...)
He is in 'the comfort zone'. 20 years to early.

If your not happy, and he will not curb the eating, give him the 'spanish archer'.
What's that?

Thing is he's not comfortable - he gets so down about being fat but does NOTHING about it!
username3472184
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
It's seems like you care more about how his physical appearance more than his health. He needs a professional to guide him but you keep encouraging him.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Have you tried asking him if there is a deeper underlying problem? I mean, sounds like he just gave up his healthy lifestyle cold turkey, like something happened. And if he's not complained about the lack of sex while getting fat, it seems kinda unlikely he's got comfortable either or he'd be all up in your face about it. Maybe there is a deeper issue...?
Ifonly...
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What's that?

Thing is he's not comfortable - he gets so down about being fat but does NOTHING about it!
No pain, No Gain. Comfort eating will pile the pounds on. He is only young, he should be active. Obesity needs encouragement, but sometimes you can take a horse to water .....

Spanish Archer?....El-Bow
Stars at Night
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by somemightsay888)
Have you tried asking him if there is a deeper underlying problem? I mean, sounds like he just gave up his healthy lifestyle cold turkey, like something happened. And if he's not complained about the lack of sex while getting fat, it seems kinda unlikely he's got comfortable either or he'd be all up in your face about it. Maybe there is a deeper issue...?

There is no excuse for being a fat, disgusting ****
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10%
Okay (26)
32.5%
A bit lacking (22)
27.5%
Not good at all (24)
30%

Watched Threads