The Student Room Group

Dose Retake is a obstacle for admission in good universities?

I have got D in AS physics in MAY/JUNE 2017. But I need a better grade to pursue my dream.

Some people advise me to re-sit in OCT/NOV exam to repeat AS portion.
Some people are saying re-sit will have a negative impact in my certificate and will be hard to get admission in good universities. They are telling to go for complete A level in MAY/JUNE 2018. But this I feel will be hard for me.

Please advise, what should be the best thing to do in my case.
Reply 1
Original post by nazir2529
I have got D in AS physics in MAY/JUNE 2017. But I need a better grade to pursue my dream.

Some people are saying re-sit will have a negative impact in my certificate and will be hard to get admission in good universities. They are telling to go for complete A level in MAY/JUNE 2018. But this I feel will be hard for me.

AS doesn't count for your A level anymore.

All that matters is that your school actually lets you do Year 13 physics.
Original post by nazir2529

Is your A Level course linear (i.e. was it new this year or last year?) if so then there's no point in re-sitting as your AS grade has no bearing on your final grade. Depending on the course, some universities do not accept retakes unless there are extenuating circumstances (mainly for medicine and maybe some other courses at Russell Group unis).

If you're worried about the D impacting your predicted grades then you could always work really hard this year to get a good A Level grade (providing your course is linear, which I think it is) and then apply with that next autumn.
The only universities that really care are Oxbridge and Imperial/LSE/Warwick - many others will at least consider you, and most others, including excellent engineering and physics courses that aren't at those universities (which, statistically, is the majority of them) have no particular issue with it.

Quick Reply

Latest