The Student Room Group

How to achieve highly in psychology a level??

In my AS exams i achieved an E in psy all my other peers achieved quite low i don't understand what i can do to achieve higher as i revised everything ;(
write loads of essays
Don't worry. I got an E in my mock. I messed up every class test. I got a B in psychology a level. Constant revision and past papers do the trick.
What have you been doing so far? Memorisation is most of the course, along with the research methods, so.. is it just revision being the problem?
Original post by myla1299
In my AS exams i achieved an E in psy all my other peers achieved quite low i don't understand what i can do to achieve higher as i revised everything ;(

You have to be critical in your essays and show that you are making judgments about the material and arguments you are discussing.

Ignore the poster that suggested psychology A level is just memorisation - that's how individuals get lower grades, especially on essay questions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Eloise204010
What have you been doing so far? Memorisation is most of the course, along with the research methods, so.. is it just revision being the problem?

It just seems as though my points i make aren't 100% accurate (i.e. percentage of babies insecure-avoidant) because i can write down any strengths or weakness for any study.
It just seems as though my points i make aren't 100% accurate (i.e. percentage of babies insecure-avoidant) because i can write down any strengths or weakness for any study.

Oh.. well not remembering the facts exactly might not help, cause you'd presume they want those memorised too. Would ask which studies you do but I only know a couple, so..
Original post by Cubone-r
You have to be critical in your essays and show that you are making judgments about the material and arguments you are discussing.

Ignore the poster that suggested psychology A level is just memorisation - that's how individuals get lower grades, especially on essay questions.

I didn't suggest it was just that, however it has a lot of content to remember, so memorisation is important despite needing to be able to write good essays. I don't usually need to explain everything I say.. but okay. I was just wondering if that was the problem with the person asking the question.
Next time I won't bother attempting to help xD
Reply 9
Original post by Eloise204010
Next time I won't bother attempting to help xD

no thank you for your help it means a lot x
no thank you for your help it means a lot x

No it's fine, social anxiety just got to me a bit like it usually does if something like that happens

I found that Psychology A Level was a fine blend of memorisation and application. To some extent, you could regurgitate all the content you know. However, it would look just like that, so you do need to tailor your knowledge to the question. For example, if they had a scenario about a child named Maria and what type of attachment type she had, mention Maria's name in your answer as you explain her attachment type and how you know that. Just wondering, how do you revise? Maybe changing up your revision routine could help too?
Reply 12
Original post by whiteboard19
I found that Psychology A Level was a fine blend of memorisation and application. To some extent, you could regurgitate all the content you know. However, it would look just like that, so you do need to tailor your knowledge to the question. For example, if they had a scenario about a child named Maria and what type of attachment type she had, mention Maria's name in your answer as you explain her attachment type and how you know that. Just wondering, how do you revise? Maybe changing up your revision routine could help too?

i memorise definitions then go through memorising studies along with the pros and cons to it

Quick Reply

Latest