Why are art foundations free? Watch

memeeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Why is an art foundation free (for under 19s)? Especially considering courses like nursing aren't?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They're Further Education - not Higher Education. As such local authorities are required to provide further education for free to all students under the age of 19. Nursing is a Higher Education course, and all students are required to be over the age of 18 to begin it, and to hold some form of Further Education qualification already. Art Foundations are necessarily a "lower" qualification, as they do not intend to teach to that higher level - unlike a degree in an arts subject. If you pursued an Art Foundation over the age of 19, you would be required to pay significant tuition fees, and would not be eligible for any funding from SFE.

The courses are fundamentally different - a more relevant comparison would be between art foundations and integrated foundation years for university courses, such as the common science or engineering foundations. However your particular selection of comparison isn't really applicable. Whether nursing students should pay to study the course at all is another debate entirely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads