Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New World Ranking Of Universities!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well, the top four European Universities are found in the UK, which is nice.

1 Univ Cambridge UK 3
    2 Univ Oxford UK 8
    3 Imperial Coll London UK 23
    4 Univ Coll London UK 25

American Universities tend to dominate as they have better access to funds and hence better facilities, this in turn attracts the best staff which results in the best research produced...

The way they have ranked it favours some universities, but i think they used the most appropriate way to rank them otherwise it would not be possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)

1 Univ Cambridge UK 3
    2 Univ Oxford UK 8
    4 Univ Coll London UK 25
    Well it just shows you how *******s the survey is then.

ReputationRep:
    *Based on the criteria they use*, so you would say they are the best for most subjects apart from ones that could be quantified such as Humanities and social sciences (which do not do well in the rankings)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)

1 Univ Cambridge UK 3
    2 Univ Oxford UK 8
    4 Univ Coll London UK 25

American Universities tend to dominate as they have better access to funds and hence better facilities, this in turn attracts the best staff which results in the best research produced...

The way they have ranked it favours some universities, but i think they used the most appropriate way to rank them otherwise it would not be possible
    looks about right, except LSE should be in the top 5 uk ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    *Based on the criteria they use*, so you would say they are the best for most subjects apart from ones that could be quantified such as Humanities and social sciences (which do not do well in the rankings)...
    What about Chalmers, Hiedelberg, Berlin, The Sorbonne, Uppsala? To name a few excellent universities that are as good as at least UCL. I think their criteria are flawed.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't heard of them... what you are saying is an opinion, the ranking does not take into account opinion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)

I would have said it's also because they're bigger, and the rankings mainly go by NUMBER of Nobel prizes, NUMBER of highly cited researchers, NUMBER of articles published etc. - a bigger institution is obviously going to score well!

ReputationRep:
    Then the bigger the better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Haven't heard of them... what you are saying is an opinion, the ranking does not take into account opinion...
    You haven't heard of the Sorbonne??????

I think the british universities fair well because they are slightly better at keeping their prize-winning scientists from moving to the states. Unfortunately universities like Chalmers and Hiedelberg have a large stream of academics being 'bought off' by top US universities before they win important prizes, this is a great shame.

ReputationRep:
    If the UK merge universities and if European universities merge then i'm sure we would be able to give the U.S a run for its' money...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    If the UK merge universities and if European universities merge then i'm sure we would be able to give the U.S a run for its' money...
    Well we have the planned merger of Manchester and UMIST about to go through and then there is the planned merger of all the Scottish Physics departments into a single department and a talked-of merger of Scottish Chemistry departments into two super-departments.

ReputationRep:
    Liking the Edinburgh rank there, not bad

why is Oxford so low down? Isn't it on the same par as Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Then the bigger the better?
    Well no, not necassarily, just with a bigger institution of similar standard you are bound to win more prizes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    You haven't heard of the Sorbonne??????

I think the british universities fair well because they are slightly better at keeping their prize-winning scientists from moving to the states. Unfortunately universities like Chalmers and Hiedelberg have a large stream of academics being 'bought off' by top US universities before they win important prizes, this is a great shame.
    I remember reading an article about how the Sorbonne had has been facing horrendous problems over the last couple of decades - funding problems that make even British universities' problems seem mild. I'll see if I can dig it out.

(Edit: Hmmm. It seems to have vanished. How frustrating)

I guess it is a shame for the European universities you mention, but "buying off" happens in pretty much every field/business/sport etc. Whatever the rights and wrongs, it's here to stay.

On the other hand, since the facilities and grants etc. are often so much better in the US, there is a realistic possibility that the research will be better.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it's very easy for top Universities in the states to stay on top of the game when they offer lucrative contracts to scientists who are just about to received prestigious prizes. It is not uncommon for researchers to have conducted their nobel prize winning research at a European University, but to be a member of staff at an American Institution when they receive it - according to the 'ranking' system in this survey they american institution gets all the credit - is that fair or just?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it's very easy for top Universities in the states to stay on top of the game when they offer lucrative contracts to scientists who are just about to received prestigious prizes. It is not uncommon for researchers to have conducted their nobel prize winning research at a European University, but to be a member of staff at an American Institution when they receive it - according to the 'ranking' system in this survey they american institution gets all the credit - is that fair or just?
    No, it certainly isn't fair given its effect on this particular table. But I think that most people here agree what a poor piece of work it is.

But that said, the impression I got recently reading about (for example) Sir Harry Kroto's upcoming move to Florida was that he felt his research was being hampered by inferior facilities and funding in the UK. It seems unreasonable to blame him for wanting to move or to blame Florida State (or was it UF? I forget) for being able and willing to fund his work.

ReputationRep:
    No, this table gives credit to both the institutions nobelists graduated from and where they were when they won their nobel (this is an amendment to last year's structure).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sisyphus)
    No, this table gives credit to both the institutions nobelists graduated from and where they were when they won their nobel (this is an amendment to last year's structure).
    But not where they were when they produced the work that won them the nobel.

ReputationRep:
    How did Cam get 100 for alumni and Ox 61? load of rubbish. It appears to have escaped our comrades attention that All but 2 of the post-war Uk PMs went to Oxford, along with many PMs of India etc.
    California Insitutute of Technology ahead of Oxford - I don't think so!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    How did Cam get 100 for alumni and Ox 61? load of rubbish. It appears to have escaped our comrades attention that All but 2 of the post-war Uk PMs went to Oxford, along with many PMs of India etc.
    California Insitutute of Technology ahead of Oxford - I don't think so!!!
    Caltech's probably got a few more recent science prizewinners or something.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.