The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah that table from 10 onwards is a piece of boohockey. I have to be careful not to swear or that ******* ***** bratcat will give me another negative referal. Anyway, raelly difficult to ever be able to assess university unless someone is able to count all the articles published in science/nature magazines and all the bloody science prizes ever won by that uni (or even just recently). They just went by nobels because that the easiet thing to do. Not reliable at all.
sisyphus
Remember that much discussed Chinese ranking of world universities?

Well, there's a new one!

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

Yay, mine's (actually) in the top 55! Soo annoyingly close to being in the top 50 tho, oh well. It's not the university that makes the person :smile: It's who are inside that counts.
I'm just waiting for more of these to come out and all sceptics alike can view them all simultaneously.
Reply 63
Well at least in the uk imperial is ranked almost always higher than LSE and cambridge is definetely better than oxford.
And by the way the sorbonne is another name for the university of paris which IS in the list
vigo
Well at least in the uk imperial is ranked almost always higher than LSE and cambridge is definetely better than oxford.
And by the way the sorbonne is another name for the university of paris which IS in the list

Are you studying at LSE or something? j/w
vigo

No, the sorbonne is an entity within the university of paris, just like Berkley is part of the university of california - they see fit to make a distinction for the latter but not the former, why?
Reply 66
Cellardore
why is Oxford so low down? Isn't it on the same par as Cambridge?

InterCity125
How did Cam get 100 for alumni and Ox 61? load of rubbish. It appears to have escaped our comrades attention that All but 2 of the post-war Uk PMs went to Oxford, along with many PMs of India etc.
California Insitutute of Technology ahead of Oxford - I don't think so!!!

The table is biased in favour of science rather than the arts.
InterCity125
How did Cam get 100 for alumni and Ox 61? load of rubbish. It appears to have escaped our comrades attention that All but 2 of the post-war Uk PMs went to Oxford, along with many PMs of India etc.
California Insitutute of Technology ahead of Oxford - I don't think so!!!

Cambridge has produced 80 nobel laureates, Oxford 41 or so. As for Caltech ahead of Oxford - i agree.
an Siarach
As for Caltech ahead of Oxford - i agree.

Yeah, their current faculty is pretty impressive - Eisenstein, Marcus, Zewail, etc. big names.
Reply 69
The table is really shit.
First of all you would actually have to seperate it according to subjects. A uni might be amazing in one area and average in the others.
Then you have to take into account that some unis are quite new. Obviously the old unis like cam and oxford had more nobel prize winners than the younger ones, e.g. Warwick. Apart from that there are not nobel prizes in every subject. For example there is noone for Maths (because a Mathematician flirted or went out or whatever with the Mr Nobel's wife).

My parents worked for a while at Cornell, one of the top universities. They said that the postgrads were really good and well paid by the uni but the undergrads hardly knew anything only that daddy has the hell of a lot of money.
Reply 70
Andi
Apart from that there are not nobel prizes in every subject. For example there is noone for Maths (because a Mathematician flirted or went out or whatever with the Mr Nobel's wife).

But there are things called "Fields Medals"!

Latest

Trending

Trending