The Student Room Group

I failed an AS exam, should I just redo Y12?

So I got my AS exam results this week and now I'm not sure what to do. To be clear, my school actually entered us in for the AS exams this year rather than us just doing mocks.

So, I got a C in english Lit, B in history but a U in biology. I was not very surprised about my biology grade as I'd been struggling in the subject for the entire year and had attempted to switch to sociology well before exams. Because of my other grades, my school has allowed me to continue on to A level biology, but I really don't want to.

I've put a lot of energy this year into the subject, often at the expense of my other subjects yet seem not to have gotten any better. I don't see how I'd get any better next year, while also having to study A level bio content AND revise for my other subjects. Also, I wonder if I will even be able to apply to the uni's I want to go this year with a U grade? Is there even a point to me continuing and should I redo year 12 with a different subject, or should I just continue?
If you're prepared to you could take a one year course if your college offers one currently. I think philosophy of religion (AQA), business and English language still offer this as they've not yet been reformed.
Reply 2
Original post by rosie.mn
If you're prepared to you could take a one year course if your college offers one currently. I think philosophy of religion (AQA), business and English language still offer this as they've not yet been reformed.

Philosophy and Ethics/RS, Business and English Language have all been reformed but whether they're reformed on not has no bearing on whether colleges offer them as one year courses or not.
Original post by npoe
So I got my AS exam results this week and now I'm not sure what to do. To be clear, my school actually entered us in for the AS exams this year rather than us just doing mocks.

So, I got a C in english Lit, B in history but a U in biology. I was not very surprised about my biology grade as I'd been struggling in the subject for the entire year and had attempted to switch to sociology well before exams. Because of my other grades, my school has allowed me to continue on to A level biology, but I really don't want to.

I've put a lot of energy this year into the subject, often at the expense of my other subjects yet seem not to have gotten any better. I don't see how I'd get any better next year, while also having to study A level bio content AND revise for my other subjects. Also, I wonder if I will even be able to apply to the uni's I want to go this year with a U grade? Is there even a point to me continuing and should I redo year 12 with a different subject, or should I just continue?

What uni course are you considering? I would just drop the Bio tbh and do another A-level in one year.. (you have potential to do really well in History and English Bio might just drag that down)
Reply 4
Original post by rosie.mn

My sixth form doesn't offer this unfortunately, but i'm willing to go elsewhere if necessary. I'm not familiar with one year courses, could you please explain?
Reply 5
Original post by npoe
My sixth form doesn't offer this unfortunately, but i'm willing to go elsewhere if necessary. I'm not familiar with one year courses, could you please explain?

A one year course is when you do a whole A level in 1 year and take the A level exams at the end of it. In theory you can do it in any subject.
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
What uni course are you considering? I would just drop the Bio tbh and do another A-level in one year.. (you have potential to do really well in History and English Bio might just drag that down)

The courses i'm thinking of studying are politics with history or anthropology. I like Cambridge's human, social and political sciences course but don't plan on applying. And I really want to drop biology and do sociology instead, if I chose to to do that next year, will I also have to redo my other subjects AS year?
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
A one year course is when you do a whole A level in 1 year and take the A level exams at the end of it. In theory you can do it in any subject.

Could I do this privately while also continuing english lit and history?
Original post by npoe
The courses i'm thinking of studying are politics with history or anthropology. I like Cambridge's human, social and political sciences course but don't plan on applying. And I really want to drop biology and do sociology instead, if I chose to to do that next year, will I also have to redo my other subjects AS year?

Your other AS are linear so next year you would do ALevel English History (+tested on AS content anyway) + ALevel Biology or a full alevel in sociology/other subject. In that year.
Reply 9
Original post by npoe
Could I do this privately while also continuing english lit and history?

Yes. You'd just need to find somewhere to sit the exams (ask your current college as that would be cheapest). Try to avoid a subject with any NEA (aka coursework) as that is difficult to organise for private candidates.
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
Yes. You'd just need to find somewhere to sit the exams (ask your current college as that would be cheapest). Try to avoid a subject with any NEA (aka coursework) as that is difficult to organise for private candidates.

Thanks so much! I'm going to discuss this with my school, and hopefully I'll be able to sit sociology there privately.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest