The Student Room Group

Failed AS maths, what do I do now?

So this year I sat my AS maths and got a D (B in c1, U in c2 and E in m1). I was predicted an A as I'd been getting that all year until this exam. I'm only doing 3 A levels (biology and chemistry and my other two - I got a D and a C) and I need AAA for next year.
Is it worth retaking the year or just redoing C1, C2 and M1 next year as well as doing C3, C4 and S1 and my other two A levels?
I'm not sure what to do at all so advice would be helpful
Reply 1
I failed maths too this year, C1 E, C2 U, D1 U, I've been kicked off the course, if I could, I'd stay on and redo everything. Whether I'd repeat the entire year or redo modules is another thing. If you want to redo the entire maths AS course, I'd redo the year.
Reply 2
Original post by Razerz
I failed maths too this year, C1 E, C2 U, D1 U, I've been kicked off the course, if I could, I'd stay on and redo everything. Whether I'd repeat the entire year or redo modules is another thing. If you want to redo the entire maths AS course, I'd redo the year.

Thank you, I'm not really sure as it does sound like a lot of work. I might just redo the year and hope for the best
Was there a reason why you performed so poorly when you had been doing well? I think it would be too much work and you'd be better off redoing the year
Reply 4
I'd been getting straight A's and B's in all the past papers I'd been doing (including the solomon papers) and I've got no idea why I did so badly as I didn't find the c2 papers that hard, obviously something went wrong in the exam and I'm not really sure what
Reply 5
Original post by sofiapesic
I'd been getting straight A's and B's in all the past papers I'd been doing (including the solomon papers) and I've got no idea why I did so badly as I didn't find the c2 papers that hard, obviously something went wrong in the exam and I'm not really sure what

Speak to your maths teacher and ask for advice. But I think definitely retake the exams. You need 480 UMS in total for an A and you won't get that with two U's although most people who were in my A2 class was advised to take C1 and C2 again. In your case I would retake M1 as well. You may get away with not retaking C1. But your teacher will know best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Robbie_P
If you are getting a U in C2 then I really wouldn't reccomend wasting time retaking maths, as C2 is easy compared to C3 and C4.....Getting a U suggests maths isn't for you

That's not strictly true.

EVERY student who goes through C3 & 4 find C1 & 2 much easier, that's logical.

When you're doing C2 for the first time, the jump between that and GCSE is much bigger than C2 to C3.

I did a bit of C3 before I was kicked off, I found it incredibly easy due to my knowledge from C1 & 2, easier than starting C2 with no prior knowledge.
Reply 7
Thank you - my maths teacher left at the end of the year and I've not seen her since but I did email the head of maths. I'll see what he says and then make a final decision

Quick Reply

Latest