The Student Room Group

Switching courses during first week of uni

So I've got my grades (A*AA Maths, FMaths & History) and am down to go to Exeter to study History. However I have wanted to switch to Maths, and Exeter have told me the only way of doing the course I want to do there is my hoping someone drops during the first few weeks - refusing to tell me the likelihood of such occurrence. I would love to go to Exeter, but now also have verbal offers of other Maths courses at York and Manchester. Should I stick with Exeter History and hope I can switch?
Original post by Falkner_
So I've got my grades (A*AA Maths, FMaths & History) and am down to go to Exeter to study History. However I have wanted to switch to Maths, and Exeter have told me the only way of doing the course I want to do there is my hoping someone drops during the first few weeks - refusing to tell me the likelihood of such occurrence. I would love to go to Exeter, but now also have verbal offers of other Maths courses at York and Manchester. Should I stick with Exeter History and hope I can switch?

You ve no guarantee that they would let you switch really so perhaps it's better to go to somewhere where you can do maths

As above. Exeter have no way of knowing if someone is going to drop out.
Reply 3
No. Choose one of the verbal offers. You might legitimately be stuck studying a subject you don't wish to study for three years. Do you really want to go to Exeter that much?

What about a combined course?

If not, then you should really try and find a different uni to study Maths!
Reply 5
I thought that this would be a simple process - that I could switch to maths @ York by just notifying my firm of my intention. But apparently I should have done this on results day along with my insurance, and because my insurance is an unconditional, I have entered a "commitment with the uni"
I thought that this would be a simple process - that I could switch to maths @ York by just notifying my firm of my intention. But apparently I should have done this on results day along with my insurance, and because my insurance is an unconditional, I have entered a "commitment with the uni"

But isn't your firm Exeter? I'm confused by this post...

Ask to switch to FCH at Exeter?, as then you can do Maths and History together.

Quick Reply

Latest