V1257 - Maintenance Grant Bill 2017 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (15)
31.25%
On the contrary, No (17)
35.42%
Abstain (16)
33.33%
This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

V1257 - Maintenance Grant Bill 2017, TSR Green Party

A BILL TO

Reintroduce maintenance grants for UK students

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definitions

(1) For the purposes of this bill, maintenance grants are a sum of money given by the Government to students, to help with living costs.

2: Reintroduction of Maintenance Grants

(1) All UK university students shall be given maintenance grants by the Government which they will receive at the start of every term.

(2) Students will receive a maintenance grant of up to £10,200, depending on their household income and the geographical location of their university.
(2.1) The Department for Education shall decide what amount grant to give to students.
(2.2) The top rate of maintenance grant shall increase in line with CPI inflation.

(3) Students undertaking courses that are longer than 30 weeks in length may be entitled to an additional maintenace grant.

(4) Students may be entitled to an extra maintenance grant if they fall into one of the groups below:
a) Single parents with a child under 20
b) A married couple both in education with a child under 20
c) Have a disability
d) Qualify for housing benefit
e) Have been incapable of working for 28 weeks
f) Have been certified as being ill or had a caring responsibility

3: Extent, Commencement and Short Title

(1) This Act extends to all of the United Kingdom.

(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on 1st September 2018.

(3) This shall be cited as the Maintenance Grant Bill 2017.

Notes

Going to university has become increasingly essential for young people in the UK who wish to have well-paid jobs. However, the astronomical financial costs associated with it (both tuition fees and living costs) have meant that some of the poorer students are simply unable to go. We believe that ending tuition fees would not be economically viable or practical and instead, maintenance grants should be brought back. In the past, maintenance grants have played a pivotal role in supporting deprived students, in particular with their living costs. However, the average student now has to spend an average of just over £12,000 on living costs alone. Combined with tuition fees of £9,250, sadly the cost of going to university for some young people has become simply unaffordable.

The cost of reintroducing maintenance grants will be approximately £3.5bn per annum.Source
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like the principle, not 100% on the details. Abstain.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sloppy execution though I agree with the principle. Does this include international students? Or British students studying abroad?
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Or we could spend the money on boosting apprenticeships even more?

Abstain.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay.

Again. The debates are so you can take feedback. The Green Party is taking a lot of good ideas and producing **** with them at the moment.
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really like this idea but this is not detailed enough.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One Nay was removed due to a double vote in seat 42.

Order!
The Ayes to the right, 15.
The Noes to the left, 17.
Abstentions, 16.

I think the Noes have it, the Noes have it. Unlock!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads