The Student Room Group

Dental Dilemma?!

Hello!

Up until now I've been fixated on the idea of doing Dentistry at University; however after results day and judging by my AS grades I don't think I'm quite cut out for it. Not to say that I'm not willing to try(!) But I'd like to be realistic and see what other, more approachable options there are out there.

If anybody else is going through, or has been through this, then I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Did you stay firmly to your decision of becoming a Dentists and actually get onto the course at University? And if not did you repeat a year to get in? Go on a gap year?

Or did you end up choosing another course, if so which one? How did you decide on it? I'm actually considering accountancy as my back-up, but I'm not sure if i should get a degree at University or go for an Apprenticeship???

Thanks.
Original post by AyishaUllah
Hello!

Up until now I've been fixated on the idea of doing Dentistry at University; however after results day and judging by my AS grades I don't think I'm quite cut out for it. Not to say that I'm not willing to try(!) But I'd like to be realistic and see what other, more approachable options there are out there.

If anybody else is going through, or has been through this, then I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Did you stay firmly to your decision of becoming a Dentists and actually get onto the course at University? And if not did you repeat a year to get in? Go on a gap year?

Or did you end up choosing another course, if so which one? How did you decide on it? I'm actually considering accountancy as my back-up, but I'm not sure if i should get a degree at University or go for an Apprenticeship???

Thanks.

what grades did you get at AS?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
what grades did you get at AS?

The Chemistry and Biology grades were mocks (they are not considered official)
Maths I intend to redo in year 13.

Maths-C
Biology-D
Chemistry-D
The Chemistry and Biology grades were mocks (they are not considered official)
Maths I intend to redo in year 13.

Maths-C
Biology-D
Chemistry-D

The universities might not be keen that you re resorting maths, you won't know unless you ask though.
If you're fixated on a dentistry degree, you really can't let this minor step back out you off your ultimate goal. At the end of the day, you'll learn from this and improve your revision technique etc
Reply 5
The universities might not be keen that you re resorting maths, you won't know unless you ask though.

Resits dont matter if its within the two year period, iirc.
Reply 6

I plan on calling up as soon as schools starts
I plan on calling up as soon as schools starts

There'll be people in university admissions departments now

Quick Reply

Latest