username3463182
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys,

My AS results came out and i got DDE in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. My college is not letting me continue with these A-Levels and I have decided to do them privately in a year. The reason why my resulta are horrible is because I had health problems that affected my sleep badly.

My question is would this count as a retake if I do all these subjects privately in a year with the same exam board? I do linear a levels by the way apart from Maths. Also would I be able to apply for medicine or not if i complete everything in a year? Thanks in advance.
username1454260
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm pretty sure you can retake them privately but you'd need to find somewhere to retake them such as your old school. And yeah this should mean you can do medicine. I'm no expert though! Wishing you luck
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by leclapped)
Hey guys,

My AS results came out and i got DDE in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. My college is not letting me continue with these A-Levels and I have decided to do them privately in a year. The reason why my resulta are horrible is because I had health problems that affected my sleep badly.

My question is would this count as a retake if I do all these subjects privately in a year with the same exam board? I do linear a levels by the way apart from Maths. Also would I be able to apply for medicine or not if i complete everything in a year? Thanks in advance.
If you do your "A level" exams at the end of next year then it's not a retake.

If you repeat Year 12 and do these exams again it will.

Medicine I don't think will be possible without a gap year due to low predicted grades. Hence if I were you I'd do the "A level" exams privately and then apply with my actual results.
username3463182
Rep:
?
(Original post by SGHD26716)
If you do your "A level" exams at the end of next year then it's not a retake.

If you repeat Year 12 and do these exams again it will.

Medicine I don't think will be possible without a gap year due to low predicted grades. Hence if I were you I'd do the "A level" exams privately and then apply with my actual results.
So basically i should complete everything by june 2018 and then it wouldnt be a retake? Also, my tution centre is doing the new A level maths spec they don't do the aqa old spec (the one my college did) any more so would universities look down upon that? Thanks
username3463182
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ella_08)
I'm pretty sure you can retake them privately but you'd need to find somewhere to retake them such as your old school. And yeah this should mean you can do medicine. I'm no expert though! Wishing you luck
thank you
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So basically i should complete everything by june 2018 and then it wouldnt be a retake? Also, my tution centre is doing the new A level maths spec they don't do the aqa old spec (the one my college did) any more so would universities look down upon that? Thanks
Yeah basically. Get everything done within the 2 year period. You've used 1 year. Use next year to complete everything.

The new maths syllabus starts being taught next year and there will only be AS exams, not final A level exams.

You should only be doing old spec next year. For the new spec the A level exams first exam will be in 2019.
username3463182
Rep:
?
Yeah basically. Get everything done within the 2 year period. You've used 1 year. Use next year to complete everything.

The new maths syllabus starts being taught next year and there will only be AS exams, not final A level exams.

You should only be doing old spec next year. For the new spec the A level exams first exam will be in 2019.
So in your opinion shall i continue with the old spec and retake the modules i failed or start the new edexcel spec? What would be preffered by unis? Thank you
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So in your opinion shall i continue with the old spec and retake the modules i failed or start the new edexcel spec? What would be preffered by unis? Thank you
Retake the modules you failed.

If you start the new Edexcel spec then those exams will be in 2019. You started A levels in 2016. 2019 will be your third year which they won't like at all especially for medicine.
username3463182
Rep:
?
Retake the modules you failed.

If you start the new Edexcel spec then those exams will be in 2019. You started A levels in 2016. 2019 will be your third year which they won't like at all especially for medicine.
Thanks also would the unis mind me redoing the AS courswork for the practical endorsement with the private exam centre? I'm not sure if my college has submitted any coursework officially.
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks also would the unis mind me redoing the AS courswork for the practical endorsement with the private exam centre? I'm not sure if my college has submitted any coursework officially.
I don't know anything other than what I've already told you

Good luck.
username3463182
Rep:
?
I don't know anything other than what I've already told you

Good luck.
Thank you for the help i really appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (563)
34.16%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (678)
41.14%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.15%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.55%

Watched Threads