123chem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys, i just got into kings, and will be starting this september. If there is anything you want to ask about (application process, UCKAT, Personal statement, interviews etc), feel free to ask me! Good luck
Big Papa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 123chem)
Hey guys, i just got into kings, and will be starting this september. If there is anything you want to ask about (application process, UCKAT, Personal statement, interviews etc), feel free to ask me! Good luck
Stats?
123chem
Rep:
?
4 A* 5A and a B at GCSEs.

A* (bio) A* (chem) A (math, off by one mark for a*) in a levels.

I'm not gonna lie, the a levels were a big step up for gcse's but definitely doable. I got an A in bio at gcse and improved it at a level, so dont be put down and think its impossible. For a levels, my advice would be do as many past papers as you can. Try and finish revision 1.5 months before exams start and then hit the past papers hard. For sciences, have a read through revision guide days before the exam (and read the textbooks completely before you start past paper practice).
Big Papa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I'm not gonna lie, the a levels were a big step up for gcse's but definitely doable. I got an A in bio at gcse and improved it at a level, so dont be put down and think its impossible. For a levels, my advice would be do as many past papers as you can. Try and finish revision 1.5 months before exams start and then hit the past papers hard. For sciences, have a read through revision guide days before the exam (and read the textbooks completely before you start past paper practice).
Where else did you apply? What was your UKCAT score?
123chem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Immunology)
Where else did you apply? What was your UKCAT score?
Applied to Barts (Queens Mary), Glasgow and Bristol. Got rejection from bristol pre interview and from barts and glasgow post interview, so kings was my only dentistry offer (and biomed at UCL but i didnt want that).

750 avg UKCAT
570 VR
890 QR
790 AR
Band 1 SJT
Big Papa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Applied to Barts (Queens Mary), Glasgow and Bristol. Got rejection from bristol pre interview and from barts and glasgow post interview, so kings was my only dentistry offer (and biomed at UCL but i didnt want that).

750 avg UKCAT
570 VR
890 QR
790 AR
Band 1 SJT
Nice - I'm already at university so was just asking you questions that others would probably want to know the answer to. Congratulations and hope you enjoy it!
123chem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Immunology)
Nice - I'm already at university so was just asking you questions that others would probably want to know the answer to. Congratulations and hope you enjoy it!
Ah ok, thanks!
Parsa7899
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
Thanks for sharing the info. I'm applying for uni 2018 entry and I'd love to join King's. Just wanted to ask, can you still get into king's for dentistry even if you don't get the required grades. Even if it is through a foundation year or through biomedical sciences.
Also, I will be sitting my UKCAT exam soon and I have a huge problem with the timing. I know I can answer most of the questions but not in the limited time provided. I'm kind of a slow person in answering questions. Do you have any advice for the UKCAT?
Once again thanks for the info and good luck with uni!
123chem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Parsa7899)
Hi,
Thanks for sharing the info. I'm applying for uni 2018 entry and I'd love to join King's. Just wanted to ask, can you still get into king's for dentistry even if you don't get the required grades. Even if it is through a foundation year or through biomedical sciences.
Also, I will be sitting my UKCAT exam soon and I have a huge problem with the timing. I know I can answer most of the questions but not in the limited time provided. I'm kind of a slow person in answering questions. Do you have any advice for the UKCAT?
Once again thanks for the info and good luck with uni!
Hello! Yes, it's possible to get into kings if you missed out on grades. Depending on how much you missed out by, you may still be accepted on results day in which case you wont need to do another degree. However, if you dont do as well as you expected and get a rejection on results day, then either go for a resit of a levels (only few unis will accept it - call them and ask), or do a different degree. I know a few people who will be joining me this year who have just finished a degree (some did biomed, some dental materials/engineering etc). Kings have a lot more spaces than other unis, so there is more chance of getting in.

With UKCAT, i'll recommend doing time practice on Medify. For VR, i found it best to read the question then skim the passage looking for info i need. Only sometimes you will get the information directly. A lot of the times it will be implied. For QR, try and do most of the calculations in mind and dont use calculator too much, that way it will be faster. So it's worth going over times tables to sharpen your mental maths. Also, you can use computer keyboard to operate claculator instead of pressing buttons on the calculator provided. For QR, you can sometimes estimate and either find the right answer or eliminate a few that are wrong straight away. For AR, just do as many as you can and get familiar with the patterns. Look for different kind of shapes, patterns within shapes, number of shapes, the position of shapes and such. If you cant find a pattern, just guess and move on rather than spending too much time on it (and that goes in general, if its taking too long to find the answer then just guess and move on. I know they have a flagging option if you want to return back to the question but that just wastes more time, so dont bother with that in my opinion).

Good luck!
Parsa7899
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OK. Thank you! I will try my best to apply the techniques for UKCAT.
Zaib Malik
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Woah, this is so good!! I'm so done with Alevels and all this uni process tbh, I literally have started degrading myself cs i can't even get the grades (A*AA) so i can reapply but ughhh i havent even started studying for my exams!! HELPPP MEEE
123chem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zaib Malik)
Woah, this is so good!! I'm so done with Alevels and all this uni process tbh, I literally have started degrading myself cs i can't even get the grades (A*AA) so i can reapply but ughhh i havent even started studying for my exams!! HELPPP MEEE
What worked for me was just reading and understanding the sciences and doing past papers for all 3. You got a lot of time till the final exams, so dont stress too much. For maths, do 1/2 questions on a chapter each day starting now, and when you get closer to the exams, start doing the full past papers. For sciences, just try understand the topics and keep reading the revision guide/textbook bit by bit each day, and attempt a few qs on the topic at the end of the week maybe. And again, when near exams, do a lot of past papers. If you do the same exam board as me (edexcel math, aqa bio, chem) then the following advice may be helpful (still relevant for other examboards though, the key is to do as many papers as you can):
For maths, just do as many questions as you can. Do international papers too if you got time. For Bio, use textbook and the small cgp revision guide as recap, and again do as many past paper qs. For chem, use this book
https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Level-C...a60640600838a2
Theres a Year 2 one as well. For past paper questions, use this:
http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/a-...ce-papers.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
16.5%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (30)
29.13%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (10)
9.71%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (11)
10.68%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.85%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
27.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.94%

Watched Threads