Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Career/university degree decision help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished year 12 and going into year 13 this September. Below is my current situation.

So from year 11 I wanted to go into engineering and wanted to do the degree apprenticeship which is offered by Land Rover and Jaguar but then decided to go into aerospace engineering. After doing some research I'm having doubts about this too as I don't want to just sit at a desk and read data. I'm completely lost at what to do I've been thinking about it all summer! I don't want to go into a career and not like it. Are there any aerospace engineers that I could talk to, to get some advice?

I feel as if I've left this until too late, have I?

Thank you

PS sorry if I posted this in the wrong section

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assassinjeev22)
    So I've just finished year 12 and going into year 13 this September. Below is my current situation.

So from year 11 I wanted to go into engineering and wanted to do the degree apprenticeship which is offered by Land Rover and Jaguar but then decided to go into aerospace engineering. After doing some research I'm having doubts about this too as I don't want to just sit at a desk and read data. I'm completely lost at what to do I've been thinking about it all summer! I don't want to go into a career and not like it. Are there any aerospace engineers that I could talk to, to get some advice?

I feel as if I've left this until too late, have I?

Thank you

PS sorry if I posted this in the wrong section
    Hi,
    I had similar questions and recently discovered a great book on Amazon.co.uk that helped me answer them. Among other things, it suggests to visit potential places of work and based on that imagine how you'll be spending every day. The book is awesome and doesn't take long to read. It's called The Secrets Your Professors Won't Tell You: About Your Career Choice, written by Liliya Lyubman. Hope it helps. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsabelleDW)
    Hi,
    I had similar questions and recently discovered a great book on Amazon.co.uk that helped me answer them. Among other things, it suggests to visit potential places of work and based on that imagine how you'll be spending every day. The book is awesome and doesn't take long to read. It's called The Secrets Your Professors Won't Tell You: About Your Career Choice, written by Liliya Lyubman. Hope it helps. Good luck!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    You could also just google it. Type in the profession and "blog" or "a day in the life of an aerospace engineer". You could also go to a company's website and read the job description if there are any job postings or if you find the name of an aerospace engineer on their website, look up their name and see if they have any social media accounts.

Can I also ask why you wanted to go into engineering? Something must have made you want to go into this field. Just keep doing research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackhall)
    What are the alternative options to the degree apprenticeship? If there are other options out there, think carefully before accepting the degree apprenticeship if the job description is not a good fit for you. If you do not have other options, take the option and see how it goes.
    Awesome thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple32)
    You could also just google it. Type in the profession and "blog" or "a day in the life of an aerospace engineer". You could also go to a company's website and read the job description if there are any job postings or if you find the name of an aerospace engineer on their website, look up their name and see if they have any social media accounts.

Can I also ask why you wanted to go into engineering? Something must have made you want to go into this field. Just keep doing research.
    Thanks, and i wanted to go into it as i like to know how learn how things work and make things.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    work experience or short internships might help?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.