EmLo12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How similar are A level maths mechanics and AS physics mechanics Thanks in advance
AAli1738
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it depends really now that maths has been reformed, In the old spec for edexcel maths m1 was pretty much AS physics mechanics and m2 was a2 mechanics, however there are topics in a level physics which m1 and m2 or maths mechanics do not cover, for physics I tend to revise with maths mechanics notes and papers, the questions are very similar however physics has more descriptive questions with reasoning whilst maths mechanics is more algebraic and maths mechanics introduces calculus to problems.
the combination is ideal as they compliment each other easier to learn, so when you cover mechanics in maths ull be ahead of ur non physics peers, and vice versa in a physics class with non maths peers
Integral_Chicken
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From what I remember from my A-levels I found both to be refreshingly similar, but with different twists. It is also worth mentioning that the similarity is only applicable to M1, as M2, M3 and M4 really start to focus on using pure mathematical concepts to solve problems.

Just to elaborate on what I mean by different twists; they are both similar enough to not turn up to one class for a week (do not recommend at all!) and still understand exactly what is going on, but different enough to not understand how to present or explain the answer in the correct fashion.
EmLo12
Rep:
?
(Original post by AAli1738)
it depends really now that maths has been reformed, In the old spec for edexcel maths m1 was pretty much AS physics mechanics and m2 was a2 mechanics, however there are topics in a level physics which m1 and m2 or maths mechanics do not cover, for physics I tend to revise with maths mechanics notes and papers, the questions are very similar however physics has more descriptive questions with reasoning whilst maths mechanics is more algebraic and maths mechanics introduces calculus to problems.
the combination is ideal as they compliment each other easier to learn, so when you cover mechanics in maths ull be ahead of ur non physics peers, and vice versa in a physics class with non maths peers
Thank you for your fantastic reply! You've helped a lot I wish i could give you all the rep in the world
EmLo12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Integral_Chicken)
From what I remember from my A-levels I found both to be refreshingly similar, but with different twists. It is also worth mentioning that the similarity is only applicable to M1, as M2, M3 and M4 really start to focus on using pure mathematical concepts to solve problems.

Just to elaborate on what I mean by different twists; they are both similar enough to not turn up to one class for a week (do not recommend at all!) and still understand exactly what is going on, but different enough to not understand how to present or explain the answer in the correct fashion.
Another really helpful answer thank you so much
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EmLo12)
How similar are A level maths mechanics and AS physics mechanics Thanks in advance
From what I remember of A level physics/ mechanics (this is 5-6 years ago now), I didn't think they were all that similar.

In A level physics, I remmebr using SUVAT equations, projectile motion, circular motion and a little bit on breaking down forces to the components acting in perpendicular directions. That wasbasically it though. No moments, no restitution stuff, no centre of mass etc.

But even then, the focuses were very different. Maths was just about doing the calculations, wile physics cared more about the physical understanding behind it, which you occasionally to some much simpler calculations to help with.

There were then also concepts studied in a level physics mechanics that we didn't do in maths mechanics (i.e. circular motion nd hooke's law etc.).

I did Edexcel though, I don't know how similar it is/ was for other specs.
EmLo12
Rep:
?
(Original post by BobLoblawLawBlog)
From what I remember of A level physics/ mechanics (this is 5-6 years ago now), I didn't think they were all that similar.

In A level physics, I remmebr using SUVAT equations, projectile motion, circular motion and a little bit on breaking down forces to the components acting in perpendicular directions. That wasbasically it though. No moments, no restitution stuff, no centre of mass etc.

But even then, the focuses were very different. Maths was just about doing the calculations, wile physics cared more about the physical understanding behind it, which you occasionally to some much simpler calculations to help with.

There were then also concepts studied in a level physics mechanics that we didn't do in maths mechanics (i.e. circular motion nd hooke's law etc.).

I did Edexcel though, I don't know how similar it is/ was for other specs.
I did OCR AS level physics so i think they are fairly similar maybe? i'm not too sure haha! but thank you so much for your reply I'm just wondering if i'll have an advantage hehe
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EmLo12)
I did OCR AS level physics so i think they are fairly similar maybe? i'm not too sure haha! but thank you so much for your reply I'm just wondering if i'll have an advantage hehe
I felt like maths helped with Physics a little bit, but Physics didn't help with maths at all.

So hopefully you'll have a little bit of an advantage .
EmLo12
Rep:
?
(Original post by BobLoblawLawBlog)
I felt like maths helped with Physics a little bit, but Physics didn't help with maths at all.

So hopefully you'll have a little bit of an advantage .
yayy hahaha thank you so much again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
14.84%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.47%
I need help with my personal statement (48)
37.5%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
25.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.34%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.81%

Watched Threads