The Student Room Group

Will I be retaliated against for appealing a professor's decision?

Deleted as integrity is being questioned
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by OxonOxymoron

It sounds like you've been through a very tough time, but be careful not to sound too paranoid and not to lose track of a coherent, balanced and well reasoned argument.

If you are using professor in the UK sense, then X does have substantial research to his name, but it may not have been relevant to the specific piece of work or approach you were using.

It would be unusual (I've never heard of it in 14 years of involvement) for Cambridge to reject an offer on the basis of a single failed module, before the dissertation ie whole course had been completed. So be certain you are reflecting the facts accurately.

You are presumably concerned that your dissertation could in some way change the record already sitting with the Proctors. That is to suggest a conspiracy unimaginable in the real world of university processes. Seriously, academics across those different areas and support staff are unable to collude that much. For heavens sake, they can hardly co-ordinate a room change in a different building or the timely distribution of routine results.

Take ownership of the dinged module, be clear that you mis-appreciated the breadth of sources that were available to properly answer the question, but when you did, you delivered a piece to your usual high standard. It shouldn't hinder your progress.
Original post by OxonOxymoron

who failed me because I did not cite his work

I have a distinct feeling that this is not the whole story.
Deleted the question as my integrity is being questioned. This is the kind of mentality that allows institutional wrong-doers to get away with what they do. The church, universities and other powerful entities, will forever remain as they are, raping individuals (physically and of their rights) as long you consider them as incapable of error.

How do you suppose incidents like this happen:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2002/nov/07/highereducation.uk4

I quote from the link:

"The whole nature of the student-tutor-examiner relationship is highly personalised/politicised, and judgements are arbitrary, often linked to inter-faculty tensions and jealousies. Students become the victims of these, right up to viva."

"...The system is medieval in its nature, an uneasy bulk of ancient traditions, half-baked regulations and quite a liberal amount of individual discretion. The system's weaknesses are cynically exploited by individuals who perceive all too well that there are no checks and no balances. Giving lessons in good academic behaviour to such unscrupulous people amounts, in my view, to a waste of time."

I have a recorded conversation where a professor said clearly that my citing of a particular professors work led to my failure, yet Worldender, claims there is more to my story.

Every abused child, rape victim or victim of injustice has heard this stupid statement "There is more to this story!" and consequently the system is never fixed.

I am not a UK citizen. I sold everything I had to pay for this degree. All I want is to be done with my course and leave the country before December, not spend months and thousands in legal fees, using my evidence to show the OIA and courts, that the educational system needs reform.

Threeportdrift, induction is not a good technique for prediction. Nobody believed that someone would fly an aircraft into a building till it happened.

In your 14 years, if you haven't head of a situation like mine, is not a good reason to doubt the certainty of facts. Here is what happened— I was shortlisted and interviewed for the course. All my recommenders said that they ensured to mention my class standing and (then) current academic performance and subsequent to my failure, I notified my interviewer in JBS, as I felt that was the right thing to do. A week later, I was told that my application was unsuccessful.

Also, if you haven't heard of politics or a student getting screwed by the system, good for you. Either you've been living under a rock or you only choose to believe what you already believe in or you're heavily invested in moderating this forum, given your university affiliations.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest