Nightmare with Student Bank Account. URGENT ADVICE NEEDED Watch

CLMPeters
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been declined for a student credit card. I understand that I have no credit history, but how do they expect students to have a credit history when they have mostly only just turned 18. I also have friends that don't have a credit history and have been approved. I need help guys, any advice?
sahjahn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why do you need a credit card?
kevUk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loa...g-credit-score

Just be aware that you are unlikely to get a low rates card until you have a history of reliably paying back debt. Its chicken and egg, but if you default paying back a card and get a bad credit score then you wont be able to get a mortgage, bank account, loans at good rates, etc.

its better to live within you means, or you parents, if you get county court judgements for not repaying debt on cards, loans etc then it takes a long time to recover.

My advice, don't get a credit card, without substantial income they are a bad idea. The friend you have that got them their credit scores were probably base on the address they gave, parental credit scores etc.
CLMPeters
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been self-sufficient for over a year now (so have received no money from parents, and have been paying rent with my own steady income), and could do with the credit card for emergency money, but also to build my credit score initially. Thank you for your advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (46)
24.73%
No, but I have thought about it (50)
26.88%
No (90)
48.39%

Watched Threads