The Student Room Group

Is this enough to be accepted into Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
Well, I know a lot of physicists. :tongue:

I also did the same maths as (almost all) physicists up to Part IB, and if you don't like maths I can't imagine Phys NatSci being very pleasant.

Oh god no - can you imagine?! Biological NatSci was bad enough if you didn't like maths, and that's just QB.
Reply 41
Original post by alow
Well, I know a lot of physicists. :tongue:

I also did the same maths as (almost all) physicists up to Part IB, and if you don't like maths I can't imagine Phys NatSci being very pleasant.

Thanks for alowing yourself (groan) to be dragged into the thread.

And I'm glad you can confirm what we all thought :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by vincrows
Well, physics at uni level is A LOT of maths.....and more maths.

If you're interested in renewable energy but don't want to do too much maths, Environmental Geography may be another option, though A-level chemistry may give you more strength in application. But they tend not to be too fussy about a combination of subjects. :P

@Doonesbury Is there any CURRENT physics natsci at Cambridge still hanging around in TSR who can explain the first hand experience of physician to OP?

Original post by Doonesbury
The fish springs to mind but hasn't been on TSR for a while. :frown:

Oh @C0balt... ?

Hey guys I just logged on for the first time in ages :P
Yup I did Physics in first year. I then found out that it's not for me personally, so I'm becoming a chemist with an element of bio.

@Ciaran H - Physics at university is a lot of maths. A level Physics was redesigned a number of years ago so that it involves very little maths in an attempt to get more students taking it, and in fact only requires GCSE maths. That is not the case with Physics at university. First year physics is introductory, yet it already involved more maths than mechanics modules in Maths A levels. At Cambridge, Maths is compulsory in first year NatSci. In second year, you do not have to take the maths option to do Physics A and B, but if that is the case you will have some extra maths course during the first term.

edit: it appears that Alow has already answered and probably someone else too, but I'm too lazy to catch up on the thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by C0balt
Hey guys I just logged on for the first time in ages :P

:wavey:
Remember that A levels and their grades aren't shiny badges to win admission, they are courses of study where you learn things to set you up to do well at university. This is why Further Maths is advantageous for students interested in Physics.
Original post by C0balt

How did you find first year in general?
Reply 46
Original post by Forecast
How did you find first year in general?

Tough, hectic... but worth it I guess, and we all learn to manage slowly but surely. Stimulating - lots of interesting people, work challenges you, and there's just so much going on, it's really down to you to decide what you want to focus on. There's always going to be the demanding academic workload but I've done a lot of enjoyable things, learning to row, singing, turning up to some social events, doing some access/awareness work etc. I think I learnt to be smarter in managing my studies, and everything else. In school I went through every single content word to word and every single past paper and whatnot (for dat shiny UMS), but there was no way I could learn everything in first year NatSci, so focussed on my weaknesses as well as relying on my strengths. I had other problems going on so it wasn't an excellent year for me personally, but I wouldn't blame it on Cambridge in my case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending