The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I recently asked if you need any specific A levels to study Law at Oxbridge and the answer was no however once you actually get the interview how are you supposed to answer the questions they will ask you about Law if you have never done it in GCSE or A level before?
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The RAR)
I recently asked if you need any specific A levels to study Law at Oxbridge and the answer was no however once you actually get the interview how are you supposed to answer the questions they will ask you about Law if you have never done it in GCSE or A level before?
They don't just ask questions about the subject, they'll ask you about yourself, why you want to study it, your general interests, extra-curriculars etc. They won't expect you to know too much about a subject you haven't studied

It's an interview, not an interrogation. A-level law is really not necessary to study degree-level law, so if you're choosing subjects (like me) try subjects you'll enjoy, but an essay-based subject such as history or English is generally a good one to have alongside other subjects as far as I know.
Spoiler:
Show

I want to do Law at Oxford, and I will be choosing French, Maths, History and Computer Science. French is my native language so doing another 3 sohuldn't be too much for me. If you do choose to do four, however, make sure not to spread yourself to thinly across subjects, because if it requires AAA, AABB will not be good enough.
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thrillanthropist)
They don't just ask questions about the subject, they'll ask you about yourself, why you want to study it, your general interests, extra-curriculars etc. They won't expect you to know too much about a subject you haven't studied

It's an interview, not an interrogation. A-level law is really not necessary to study degree-level law, so if you're choosing subjects (like me) try subjects you'll enjoy, but an essay-based subject such as history or English is generally a good one to have alongside other subjects as far as I know.
Spoiler:
Show

I want to do Law at Oxford, and I will be choosing French, Maths, History and Computer Science. French is my native language so doing another 3 sohuldn't be too much for me. If you do choose to do four, however, make sure not to spread yourself to thinly across subjects, because if it requires AAA, AABB will not be good enough.

So how are you supposed to answer the questions they ask you about Law? Would you recommend doing it at A level or taking a gap year to learn about Law something like that?
jessjanellbhons1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So how are you supposed to answer the questions they ask you about Law? Would you recommend doing it at A level or taking a gap year to learn about Law something like that?
Let me put it this way: if you lack general knowledge about law-related issues, what does this show about your passion for the law?

Are you sure you want to study law? What makes you want to study law?

Ask yourself these questions before you decide on studying law. Law isn't easy. It requires a passion for the law and high intelligence.

If, however, you have asked yourself these questions and are genuinely interested in the law, the answer is not doing it at A level or taking a gap year to learn about law. It is simply to set aside time to READ.

Go here: http://www.bailii.org/ and read the cases. Go to a bookstore and buy law textbooks and other law books. And read them. Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

All the best.
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by jessjanellbhons1)
Let me put it this way: if you lack general knowledge about law-related issues, what does this show about your passion for the law?

Are you sure you want to study law? What makes you want to study law?

Ask yourself these questions before you decide on studying law. Law isn't easy. It requires a passion for the law and high intelligence.

If, however, you have asked yourself these questions and are genuinely interested in the law, the answer is not doing it at A level or taking a gap year to learn about law. It is simply to set aside time to READ.

Go here: http://www.bailii.org/ and read the cases. Go to a bookstore and buy law textbooks and other law books. And read them. Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

All the best.
Law books? Like fiction or non-fiction?
jessjanellbhons1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Law books? Like fiction or non-fiction?
Of course non-fiction! 😂

The interviewers will laugh their butts off if you quote John Grisham at them
EmSmQs
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The "technical" legal questions are intended to test how you think (e.g. do you thoroughly consider all the possible answers, think laterally, follow your reasoning through etc). They are not looking to test your knowledge of any specific legislation or case law (though doing some outside reading for interest won't hurt).

It resembles a supervision (small group classes), they're checking if you'd enjoy/be receptive to being taught through supervisions.

source: Cambridge educated lawyer
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You won't be asked any questions in an Oxbridge law interview that require you to have studied law, or to have any prior knowledge of the law. You will be required to reason through one or more problems relating to law, but all that requires is good reading and analytical skills and flexible thinking (i.e. the ability to adjust your argument if prompted appropriately).

Oxford and Cambridge specifically tell applicants that they do not need to do Law A-level, and in fact some tutors positively recommend against it on the ground that it teaches you into a certain way of thinking that you then have to be taught out of again when you start your degree.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you seen this mock Jurisprudence interview?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (31)
13.72%
Virtual campus tours/open days (50)
22.12%
Live streaming events (21)
9.29%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (22)
9.73%
A uni comparison tool (52)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (50)
22.12%