The Student Room Group

If God isn't real, then why does the Bible exist?

I know this question is badly worded and it might sound silly, but I was interested to hear some atheist's thoughts on this.

I'm agnostic, and this question perplexes me. If God isn't real, then I don't understand why people would have written such a detailed book describing Him. Why would multiple people spend time writing thousands of pages about God if it was untrue? The stories are so convincing in some cases too (the way that different people's perspectives tie in so well together, etc). It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm mainly curious about the Bible because some of my family is Christian and I don't know much about any other Holy Book, but answers about any other religious text are very welcome too :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would say, to control, and to perpetuate their own ideology.
Reply 2
Because people enjoy making up stories and fantasising about such creatures. It is much more calming to human civilisation to believe that there is some great being looking over us and caring for us always and who answers our prayers and will promise us an amazing eternal afterlife, than for us to accept that we are alone.
The Silmarillion is also very very detailed and meticulous.
...by this logic, Harry Potter is real.
Reply 5
If ghosts aren't real, why does Casper exist?
Reply 6
Original post by bbll98

If God isn't real, then I don't understand why people would have written such a detailed book describing Him. Why would multiple people spend time writing thousands of pages about God if it was untrue? The stories are so convincing in some cases too (the way that different people's perspectives tie in so well together, etc).

multiple people spent time designing GTAV. Horror films can be pretty realistic. Made up things can be used to control people, make money, entertain, distract, any number of reasons
Reply 7
If Voldemort is not real why Harry Potter books exist.
Original post by lauralodge

I thought everyone already knew that
If Voldemort isn't real, how does Harry Potter exist????

- OPs logic

edit: damn, beaten to it.
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
If Voldemort isn't real, how does Harry Potter exist????

- OPs logic

edit: damn, beaten to it.

Original post by Kathy89
If Voldemort is not real why Harry Potter books exist.

Original post by ICB
multiple people spent time designing GTAV. Horror films can be pretty realistic. Made up things can be used to control people, make money, entertain, distract, any number of reasons

Original post by ICB
If ghosts aren't real, why does Casper exist?

Original post by lauralodge

Original post by Zargabaath
The Silmarillion is also very very detailed and meticulous.

I get what you guys are saying, but all these books/games were made intending for people knowing they were fictional, and were made for entertainment purposes. Surely that's different because wasn't the Bible written with the intent for people to believe it?
Because God is real and the Bible has managed to become the best selling book of the whole world.
Reply 12
Original post by bbll98
I get what you guys are saying, but all these books/games were made intending for people knowing they were fictional, and were made for entertainment purposes. Surely that's different because wasn't the Bible written with the intent for people to believe it?

Okay, Blair Witch project then. Not real but it sells more if people think it is!
Original post by bbll98

But that's because the writer's/makers of these books/games/films all knew that what they were making was fictional.
Presumably the person/people who wrote the bible believed in what they were writing, but that doesn't make it true.

Some people have written and believe(d) that the world is flat, and that if you travel faster than 30mph your head would fall off.
I haven't seen too many heads rolling around on the road so I'm guessing that's not true...
A better argument is to question why would his disciples go ever so far for something that may be untrue. They did sacrifice themselves - historical accounts confirm existence and crucifixion of Jesus and his disciples (as outlined within the Bible). From this, either of 2 things can be concluded:

- God is real and hence their sacrifices are validated
- God isn't real but to them God was, hence they sacrificed themselves for what they truly believed in

Make of it as you may. I'm neither atheist nor theist - I'm an agnostic but I do not shake away the possibility of God's existence.
Reply 15
Original post by Stevo F
But that's because the writer's/makers of these books/games/films all knew that what they were making was fictional.
Presumably the person/people who wrote the bible believed in what they were writing, but that doesn't make it true.

Some people have written and believe(d) that the world is flat, and that if you travel faster than 30mph your head would fall off.
I haven't seen too many heads rolling around on the road so I'm guessing that's not true...

Good point, but the people who wrote the Bible didn't just state their beliefs, they stated, for example, 'Jesus said...' or 'the Lord said', etc. If Jesus or the Lord didn't actually state these things, then the people who wrote the Bible would be lying, so they couldn't have actually believed what they were writing. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, but I hope you get what I mean.

I'm not trying to be annoying here, just trying to understand :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
The sad thing really is that I don't see many christians on TSR bashing agnostic/atheist users for their views.
If someone believes in something why is that a problem? The Bible was a translated piece of text, it wasn't just made up in English.
It has saved millions of people's lives, some of which were close to suicide/fighting depression. It gave them something to believe in and carry on.
Now I personally do not see anything wrong with that. I'm Christian myself.
Reply 17
Original post by Boredom101
The sad thing really is that I don't see many christians on TSR bashing agnostic/atheist users for their views.
If someone believes in something why is that a problem? The Bible was a translated piece of text, it wasn't just made up in English.
It has saved millions of people's lives, some of which were close to suicide/fighting depression. It gave them something to believe in and carry on.
Now I personally do not see anything wrong with that. I'm Christian myself.

I'm not saying people's beliefs are a problem, or that there's anything wrong with believing in God. Of course I don't think those things, and I respect all religions. Where did you get that from?

I'm genuinely trying to understand for myself.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by thekidwhogames
A better argument is to question why would his disciples go ever so far for something that may be untrue. They did sacrifice themselves - historical accounts confirm existence and crucifixion of Jesus and his disciples (as outlined within the Bible). From this, either of 2 things can be concluded:

- God is real and hence their sacrifices are validated
- God isn't real but to them God was, hence they sacrificed themselves for what they truly believed in

Make of it as you may. I'm neither atheist nor theist - I'm an agnostic but I do not shake away the possibility of God's existence.

This is a good answer but it confuses me a lot.

I don't see how the second option can be correct, because if God isn't real, the people who wrote the Bible would have known it was untrue. They state 'The Lord said...' etc. and they must have known whether that was true or not because they heard it for themselves.
Original post by bbll98
I'm not saying people's beliefs are a problem, or that there's anything wrong with believing in God. Of course I don't think those things. Where did you get that from?

I'm genuinely trying to understand for myself.

Noo I wasn't referring to you, I'm referring to others on this thread & on TSR in general

Quick Reply

Latest