username1397980
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Would anyone studying either Biological or Biomedical sciences at Oxford be willing to share what the courses are like?

Will be applying to one of them in September but unsure which.

Thanks!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dogdogdog)
Would anyone studying either Biological or Biomedical sciences at Oxford be willing to share what the courses are like?

Thanks!
Moving to the Oxford forum which also has a Connect tool for talking to other students
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thanks!
I know about the Biological Sciences course. The obvious things apply - it's hard work, the tutorial system generally works very well, there are good networking opportunities - but otherwise, can you be more specific about what you'd like to know?
username1397980
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
I know about the Biological Sciences course. The obvious things apply - it's hard work, the tutorial system generally works very well, there are good networking opportunities - but otherwise, can you be more specific about what you'd like to know?
I was wondering more about the content of the course - there isn't that much detail on the Oxford website. Is there any human biology?

And also (if you study it) is it an enjoyable course overall and would you recommend it? Thanks!
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was wondering more about the content of the course - there isn't that much detail on the Oxford website. Is there any human biology?

And also (if you study it) is it an enjoyable course overall and would you recommend it? Thanks!
I should say that my recent knowledge comes from having a daughter, who has just graduated. I got to know the course very well by proxy, though, as I did a lot of the reading, helped with revision during the Vacs etc.

As you know, humans share the same essential cell biology, genetics, and physiology with other animals, so to that extent, human biology is covered. You might also have particular issues discussed using H sapiens as the exemplar.

However, in general, humans are treated as just another species, so there's nothing specific on human anatomy or physiology and of course, there is no significant consideration of medicine, pharmaceuticals, stem cell research and the like. Instead, you might be discussing evolution, predator-prey population dynamics, soil biochemistry, chimpanzee culture etc (none of which would feature in BioMedicine).

I'm going to duck the question of "enjoyable", because that's too subjective. Content-wise, I suspect the course is not that different to Biology at other RG Unis. Some of it is fascinating and some of it is tedious. There's a big chunk of statistics which a lot of people dislike, and from Y2, you chose options so you can focus on your preferred topics - but again, I think that is similar to most other places.

What is different about Oxford is the work ethic - you have a tutorial with just one or two other students every week (and sometimes more), with work set for each. This is stressful, but the obvious advantage is that if you are struggling, you can quickly get more personalised help to help you out. And sometimes the Oxford name does get you an advantage in networking e.g. my daughter got an internship this summer from a prestigious organisation that only recruits from Oxbridge.

There are downsides; for me, the most significant are probably generic, rather than to do with the course itself: 1. the pressure to perform can be overwhelming 2. the Oxford atmosphere can feel claustrophobic and self-regarding at times.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you work while at uni?