The Student Room Group

A2 Biology remark

Should i get a remark in A2 Biology I am 6 marks off the next grade across the 3 papers which are the new specification.
Reply 1
Original post by jemv
Should i get a remark in A2 Biology I am 6 marks off the next grade across the 3 papers which are the new specification.

You can get a review of marking. But, it is expensive and your result can go down as well as up.
Reply 2
Original post by Quizlet
You can get a review of marking. But, it is expensive and your result can go down as well as up.

What is the difference between a review of marking and a remark? Also I am 18 marks over the grade below so I think it is unlikely to go down :smile:.
Reply 3
I think you should also consider that it is biology - not entirely sure with the exam paper but usually with math and the science subjects, you are either right or wrong whereas in say English, the essay could have different marks depending on the marker. I personally wouldn't since it does seem like the answers can only be right or wrong and it will cost. Unless its something like coursework - then it could be worth it but I wouldn't
Reply 4
Original post by jemv
What is the difference between a review of marking and a remark? Also I am 18 marks over the grade below so I think it is unlikely to go down :smile:.

The system has changed, it's no longer a remark. A review of marking is when an examiner checks to see if the previous examiner has marked fairly against the mark scheme, if they have, then the mark stays. If the last examiner hasn't been marking fairly, then that examiner will remark the paper.

Let's say an examiner was marking an essay question and gave you 20/25. The review marker gave you 21/25. It'll stay as 20/25 because people have different interpretations of things. This is why it's harder to get a higher mark, but not impossible.

Not sure if I'm 100% correct though, @Reality Check can you confirm?
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
This actually is a perfect answer, illustrated with a good example. :smile: I couldn't have put it better myself.

So for essay subjects if they give it a mark within a band of 13-15. You'll stick to that band?
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Yes. If the marking is 'broadly in line' with the band it's currently in, the mark will not be changed. So in your example, the original marker might have given it 13, but the senior examiner would have given it 15. These marks are 'broadly in line' and in the same band, so the original mark stands.

Ugh that sucks so much :frown:

I guess it's impossible for me to go up by 5 marks now :lol:
FREE FOOOOD !!!!

If you haven't already, download UBEREATS app!!! Use the code ' eats-2oz09g ' . This will give you £10 or £5 (twice) off your order. However, make sure to enter the code when you first sign up to receive this amazing discount. The foood will be delivered right to your doorstep, so what are you waiting for- get a free mcdonalds or any food of ur choice.

Hope exam results go well for everyone!
Reply 8
Original post by jemv

I'm the same. In my case I'm six of the A* grade. I'm not entirely sure what to do either, as even though I have a uni place, I kinda want to get a review of marking for 1 or 2 of the papers and see whether the overall mark may go up to an A*. It's annoying being so close to getting the next grade and not achieving it.
Reply 9
I have the same problem I need 4 ums to get an A*. Does anyone have any advice on whether a review of paper 1 or 2 is more worthwhile than paper 3?

Quick Reply

Latest