Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey. i missed out on an A in AS edexcel fisics by one point (not even 1 %). considering i would like to study a physics related subject at uni (maybe oxbridge - i got A everywhere else).

lets say i were to get a remark and maybe get A, will this change my uni applications a great deal? i have a predicted grade A in all my subject including physics and have a strong personal statement.

should i go ahead with a remark? thnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicgate)
    hey. i missed out on an A in AS edexcel fisics by one point (not even 1 %). considering i would like to study a physics related subject at uni (maybe oxbridge - i got A everywhere else).

lets say i were to get a remark and maybe get A, will this change my uni applications a great deal? i have a predicted grade A in all my subject including physics and have a strong personal statement.

should i go ahead with a remark? thnx
    If you're only one measly mark away from getting an A, go for it. However the mark could also go down, but surely not to a C as you're B is right up there. So, since its impossible that it goes down to a C, the only way is up!

ReputationRep:
    If you're only 1 UMS mark away, its probably pointless gettting a remark as your mark could go down. Just work hard this year and get the A in the A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woggle)
    If you're only 1 UMS mark away, its probably pointless gettting a remark as your mark could go down. Just work hard this year and get the A in the A2.
    I agree. Or even take a re-sit! You'd definitely boost your mark then

ReputationRep:
    when i say "1 mark away" i mean i got 239/300 and i need 240 to get an A. so right now i have a very high B, so my grade cannot really go down that much. i guess i a resit would be the most beneficial, but i just need an A for UCAS (15th october)

ReputationRep:
    i thought your grade cannot go down if you remark. They take the higher of the two grades that were marked.

Anyways, if where you apply ask for your ums marks (Cambridge commonly do) then getting a remark won't help much, you're still gonna have a low A.

If i were you i'd just retake the module(s) in january to boost your total marks up and hence relieving pressure on your A2's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonas123)
    i thought your grade cannot go down if you remark. They take the higher of the two grades that were marked.
    Think thats only with resits, not remarks.

ReputationRep:
    I applied through UCAS for 2004 entry - they don't see your AS grades, unless they've been certificated. But if you're applying to Oxbridge it is likely they will ask for your module marks in which case they'll see your 239/300...which whilst being really good, is likely to be lower than a lot of other applicants. If I were you I'd re-sit (it will definitely make A2 easier!) and if you do apply to Oxbridge come up with a valid reason as to why you just missed the A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chica)
    I applied through UCAS for 2004 entry - they don't see your AS grades, unless they've been certificated. But if you're applying to Oxbridge it is likely they will ask for your module marks in which case they'll see your 239/300...which whilst being really good, is likely to be lower than a lot of other applicants. If I were you I'd re-sit (it will definitely make A2 easier!) and if you do apply to Oxbridge come up with a valid reason as to why you just missed the A.
    Only Cambridge ask for UMS.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Cambridge got told off for asking for UMS marks, and they're not allowed to.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I didn't know they asked for the actual marks you got! Although I did Scottish exams so I couldn't have told them even if I'd wanted to...!
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    Oxford will most likely ask you for your UMS marks for each individual unit (I applied for Physics too). They're not as "formal" as Cams though and don't send you a form to fill in, but I was asked my module marks in Maths & Physics. Bare in mind that although there aren't millions of applicants to compete with when apply for Physics, everyone who applies is damn good and likely to have v.high module marks (around 270+/300) so you're best bet would be to resit.

What were your marks in maths? Often, these are what the admissions tutors will look upon most, as Physics is basically applied maths and your pure marks must be high and comfortable A's.

If you need any more info about specifically applying to Oxford for Physics go to the Oxbridge forum and post a message as there are lots of Oxford Physicists on there. Alternatively, PM me!

PS. You only need to declare your AS grades on UCAS if they were certified, otherwise you only list predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    thx for the advice. i went to my school this morning and asked for a remark since it cant really harm my grade and if ever it can be done b4 15th october (oxbridge) then all the better. as most said a resit would be best, which i am most probably gonna do but i just wanted the A b4 sending off my uni applications.

otherwise i got french: 92 % (then again i do go to a french school), 89% in bio, and 84 % in maths (i take further maths too but i dont really have a grade for it yet)

You only need to declare your AS grades on UCAS if they were certified
    i dont really get what you all mean by the fact that i do not have to declare my grade unless certified ... my teacher said something (he wasnt sure) about me not me having to put down my grade on my UCAS form. he may be wrong cos he wasnt sure but if this is the case, doesnt it show you are hiding a grade?

ReputationRep:
    thx for the advice. i went to my school this morning and asked for a remark since it cant really harm my grade and if ever it can be done b4 15th october (oxbridge) then all the better. as most said a resit would be best, which i am most probably gonna do but i just wanted the A b4 sending off my uni applications.
    I want to remark, how much did they charge you?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    i dont really get what you all mean by the fact that i do not have to declare my grade unless certified ... my teacher said something (he wasnt sure) about me not me having to put down my grade on my UCAS form. he may be wrong cos he wasnt sure but if this is the case, doesnt it show you are hiding a grade?
    Your AS grades have to be 'cashed in' before they count as a proper qualification. If you're retaking any of the modules then you can't cash in your results. Also, some schools don't cash in grades until January; my school don't. Talk to the exam officer at your school to see whether your results have been cashed in or not. If they haven't, you just put your grade as 'pending' on the UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    its really expensive, chats. i took as fisics edexcel. for a remark for ONE module it costs £35. So I only got one module remarkd. otherwise its too expensive. its cheaper just to retake it.

ReputationRep:
    its really expensive, chats. i took as fisics edexcel. for a remark for ONE module it costs £35. So I only got one module remarkd. otherwise its too expensive. its cheaper just to retake it.
    £35!!!! that is too much. I think my college pays some fees towards it. I dont know if i wanna retake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    Your AS grades have to be 'cashed in' before they count as a proper qualification. If you're retaking any of the modules then you can't cash in your results. Also, some schools don't cash in grades until January; my school don't. Talk to the exam officer at your school to see whether your results have been cashed in or not. If they haven't, you just put your grade as 'pending' on the UCAS form.
    What do you mean by 'cashed in'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danii17)
    What do you mean by 'cashed in'.
    accept the grade you got. (cashing in)

so if you got a B and 'cashed in' you would have a OFFICIAL B

if you declined then you could retake and make the B into an A by resitting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    accept the grade you got. (cashing in)

so if you got a B and 'cashed in' you would have a OFFICIAL B

if you declined then you could retake and make the B into an A by resitting
    Oh I see, so the grades arent official yet because we can choose to accept or decline. So if i choose to re sit a history module, and get a higher grade, will the unis know that I did a re sit?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.