The Student Room Group

Are the people on here better than the average student?

Cus I got the feeling that people on here (on average) found the exams to be easier than the people at my school.
Definitely. It's a forum dedicated to students lmao. From that you can deduce that the people on this site take their education more seriously then the average student.
Going off my school - yes. Lots people in my year achieve Bs and Cs in most subjects at GCSE, where as people here seem to get a million A*s.
Reply 3
Original post by King.L.Dore
Cus I got the feeling that people on here (on average) found the exams to be easier than the people at my school.

i'd say TSR represents students (most of the times) in the top % of the country, so u will see a lot of grade A*/9/8 in this forum. Dont let that get u down.
Reply 4
People here are no more intelligent than anyone else in my opinion, no matter how many As/A*s they obtain. Most just work harder and ask questions to other people, many of whom are undergraduates (like myself) postgraduates and experts in their subjects. Particularly in STEM.

Everyone has the potential to get an A* in my opinion, just far less people actually fulfill their own through dedication and graft.
The secret to exam success in my opinion is to leave your ego in the background and realise that there is always something you can do better or improve upon. Ask questions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
No
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
Going off my school - yes. Lots people in my year achieve Bs and Cs in most subjects at GCSE, where as people here seem to get a million A*s.

Well you can't blame them, people here are aiming for Oxbridge and obviously you need at LEAST 69A*s to even be considered for an interview.
Original post by liam12345677
Well you can't blame them, people here are aiming for Oxbridge and obviously you need at LEAST 69A*s to even be considered for an interview.

I never said it was a problem, I was just making comparisons between the average student, and students on TSR :smile:
Probably not
It will be off putting for some to see people claiming all a*
And it's easy to say anything on a forum.....
Most people find TSR in order to help with their homework/exams, their UCAS application or to benefit their education in general. It's pretty fair to say that the people who do this are far more likely to be A*/A students.

It's the same logic for everything. For example i'm a member of a Fantasy football website and the people who are active on there are mostly above average in FPL, because they've sourced extra information, listened to experts, talked to like minded individuals etc.

That's not to say everyone is, but the majority of people will be.
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my college who's actually heard of this website. and guaranteed I'm The only registered member.
My 20 year old son went to a bog standard Catholic High School. One of the biggest High Schools in Northern Ireland with over 1500 pupils of all abilities. The goal of the school is to get every pupil to achieve 5 A-C Grades in GCSE. The school offers a choice of about 14 different subjects. But pupils are only allowed to take between 7 and 9 subjects maximum. At the 4 Grammar Schools they can choose 10 plus. One of the male Grammar Schools, St.Colman's College, and one of the female ones, Our Lady's, are quite prestigious. Oxbridge applications are encouraged. At my son's school they are all given 2 routes. Route One is a skills-based curriculum focusing on Essential Skills and work related learning. Route Two is taking English, Maths, Science and Religious Education to GCSE level, plus three or four additional GCSEs if they so wish. A very large percentage of the pupils take just the four GCSEs. My son took 8 but failed his ICT [ Didn't bother his arse turning up for his exams]. A small group go on to study A levels there, but most go to college. That's the background my son comes from. He absolutely, categorically wouldn't dream of ever going on this website, and thinks it's for sad people. [ His words]. Ditto most people he knew at the school. I doubt very much any of them had even heard of tsr, and even if they had, if their friends knew they used it, any street cred they had would be gone. Apparently when you're a teenager around here, it's not cool to be seen to be clever, unless you go to one of the Grammar Schools, that is. Bizarrely, my son now thinks he wants to work in education, despite doing his best efforts to avoid going into school as much as he could during secondary school, and my having on more than one occasion, having a knock on the door by the Education Welfare Officer.
(edited 6 years ago)
A lot of people on here lie about their life/grades/whatnot.
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I never said it was a problem, I was just making comparisons between the average student, and students on TSR :smile:

Yeah it's fine, I wasn't being rude or anything, just making a meme haha
Original post by King.L.Dore

Definitely. We are the cream of the student world.
Yes I would agree with you there. TSR students are generally top students capable of achieving a lot of A*s, whereas average students tend to get mostly B's and C's. It's pretty much a site for the academic elite...
And yes, most teenagers would think this a "sad" website to go on. They would rather spend ages on social media trying to work out how to take the best selfie for the most likes ahah

Quick Reply

Latest