The Student Room Group

Any degrees that don't require maths?

I've decided that I want to go to uni next year but the only thing is I'm bad at maths.I haven't got a C or above in GCSE maths and I've had two goes at it and planning
to take it again this year but I don't think I will get it.

The only courses I can think of that don't require maths are media studies and film studies but those don't really offer the best jobs.

Are there any degrees that don't require maths?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. The mods may move it if it is.
I was the same, but I've just sat maths GCSE again which I'm confident that I've passed.

Most universities require english and maths GCSEs at C or above. Some universities will accept functional skills level 2, but not many. If you've not got A levels, and you wish to get into uni by doing an Access to HE course, you need GCSEs in maths and English C or above too.

I don't know if the Open University accepts students without maths though.
Original post by bobbybop
I've decided that I want to go to uni next year but the only thing is I'm bad at maths.I haven't got a C or above in GCSE maths and I've had two goes at it and planning

The only courses I can think of that don't require maths are media studies and film studies but those don't really offer the best jobs.

I've got an F in CGSE Maths, was accepted into five of my unis and then one year later, applied to different unis and got accepted to 4/5 (one of them rejected me because I didn't meet their A-level requirements).

But my point is, you shouldn't let it stop you.

I did struggle with a Philosophy module in Logic where there were truth tables and truth statements that had to be converted into mathematical equations. I literally barely passed that module. But apart from that (I do Lit and Philosophy) I didn't experience having to do maths at all after that.

If your degree doesn't require you to do maths, then you'll be fine. If you have a D in maths, then it might be a good idea to try and bump that to C. If you have an F like me, it's not too late, but makes it a lot harder. I'm a year away from graduation and it does scare me I about graduate jobs because I haven't got a C or equivalent in Maths. So you should try and at least improve your maths. If you still are stuck on the same grade, at leas it tells employers you were persistent in improving your skills.
Reply 3
Only for the top courses or ones that are related to maths. Courses like sport studies and sport science don’t require GCSE maths or English but will require UCAS points

Have a look at York's humanities and social science degrees. Most (all?) of them don't require GCSE maths. Other good unis might be similar.
(edited 5 years ago)

Hi I might be able to help. How old are you have you already gone your a levels / access?

I just did an access course after having 12 years since I left school. I didn’t have my maths. I did the gcse along side my course and just sat my GCSE this summer. I also contacted my university to ask what would happen if I failed they said I wouldn’t be accepted but they do accept an alternative, which is from equivalency testing. It is equivalent to GCSE level. they do it for maths, English biology and maybe some other subjects . It’s not functional skills it’s still a GCSE and it cost me £150. It was loads easier than the gcse but you still needed to know your stuff. I had revised for a few months solid and have some extra tutor lessons. Or, you can take their course where they send you work to do so you can work through the modules they don’t count for anything it’s just for practice. I personally think you should try and get your maths. Some people on my course didn’t need it but you don’t want to be in a position in the future where you haven’t got it. Even if your really struggling , maybe take functional skills. Just to show something. But I’m sure you will pass if you put lots of revision in. I used Corbett maths to learn everything and topped up with extra lessons each week. My degree is biology so I needed my maths but even if yours doesn’t, I’d say it’s a good idea to get it.
What was it that you did if it wasn't GCSE or Functional Skills please?
Reply 7
sociology. goldsmith and london metropoliton dont needs maths for sociology
Reply 8
I have a foundation degree without maths and English....

Latest