The Student Room Group

A-Levels and GCSE

The problem goes like this:
I just recently moved to the UK with my Ghana qualifications. Unfortunately, I did not complete the 3-year course for Secondary school there but rather did 2. I came to the UK only to find out that I need GCSE'S to do A-Level and right now this is a big problem for me as I am 17 years old and to do the GCSE''s I would have to go all the way back to Year 10 just to get my GCSE qualifications for A Level. If I had finished the 3-year course in Ghana I would have gone to the University. What do I do now? I really want to do A level as I believe I am fit for it due to my outstanding performances in Ghana.
Original post by Richy212
The problem goes like this:
I just recently moved to the UK with my Ghana qualifications. Unfortunately, I did not complete the 3-year course for Secondary school there but rather did 2. I came to the UK only to find out that I need GCSE'S to do A-Level and right now this is a big problem for me as I am 17 years old and to do the GCSE''s I would have to go all the way back to Year 10 just to get my GCSE qualifications for A Level. If I had finished the 3-year course in Ghana I would have gone to the University. What do I do now? I really want to do A level as I believe I am fit for it due to my outstanding performances in Ghana.

Its up to the school, but they have no record or proof you are indeed ready for A level. You will have to do GCSE, but maybe speed them up an do them in a year.

If your parents wish to home school you they can and then you can decide to teach yourself A level otherwise do GCSE. You can then always wait till 19 and do an Access curse to get into uni. You cant force the school to let you sit A level, especially when they have no proof.
Reply 2
Yu may well be able to find a sixth form who would test your knowledge and then accept you to do A level and Maths and English GCSEs whilst you're doing A level (as these are the only ones you would really need). Ring/email a few and ask them (I know my school has down it in the past for students from overseas.)

Quick Reply

Latest