maths_geek234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
basically i want to apply to do medicine but, I don't want to put all 5 of my choice down for medicine is it possible for me to apply for 2 medicine courses and 3 biochemistry courses on UCAS. I know i have to steer my personal statement more towards medicine but will I get rejected from biochem if my PS is very medicine centralised???
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maths_geek234)
basically i want to apply to do medicine but, I don't want to put all 5 of my choice down for medicine is it possible for me to apply for 2 medicine courses and 3 biochemistry courses on UCAS. I know i have to steer my personal statement more towards medicine but will I get rejected from biochem if my PS is very medicine centralised???
Democracy
YammyCookie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can only apply for 4 medicine courses max in ucas. So you can do 4 medicine 1 biochem or 2 medicine 3 biochem if you want. But if you're aiming for medicine it makes more sense to use all 4 choices for medicine to maximise your chances. Also biochem (depending which uni) will probably not reject you if you have grades good enough for med.
maths_geek234
Rep:
?
(Original post by YammyCookie)
You can only apply for 4 medicine courses max in ucas. So you can do 4 medicine 1 biochem or 2 medicine 3 biochem if you want. But if you're aiming for medicine it makes more sense to use all 4 choices for medicine to maximise your chances. Also biochem (depending which uni) will probably not reject you if you have grades good enough for med.
Thing is I am trying my luck with medicine as I have always wanted to do it, I essentially just want to see if i will get any offers as biochem is what i'll put down for 3 of my options
YammyCookie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thing is I am trying my luck with medicine as I have always wanted to do it, I essentially just want to see if i will get any offers as biochem is what i'll put down for 3 of my options
Did you sit ukcat/bmat? Essentially you should be quite serious about medicine applications as they are very competitive and offers are rare, therefore having 4 will boost your chances. You can always apply for biochem after a gap year you know, if you want to try medicine applications this year.
maths_geek234
Rep:
?
(Original post by YammyCookie)
Did you sit ukcat/bmat? Essentially you should be quite serious about medicine applications as they are very competitive and offers are rare, therefore having 4 will boost your chances. You can always apply for biochem after a gap year you know, if you want to try medicine applications this year.
yes I'm sitting the ukcat in 4 weeks and It's just i don't have amazing GCSE's due to ext circumstances so my stats aren't great but my A-levels are fine (3A predictions) but medicine has always been my passion but the school has discouraged me from doing it due to my poor performance at GCSE even though I have serious mitigating circumstances surrounding it
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry if I'm missing something here, but if you've always wanted to do medicine, why aren't you applying for it properly i.e. using all four of your options?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes I'm sitting the ukcat in 4 weeks and It's just i don't have amazing GCSE's due to ext circumstances so my stats aren't great but my A-levels are fine (3A predictions) but medicine has always been my passion but the school has discouraged me from doing it due to my poor performance at GCSE even though I have serious mitigating circumstances surrounding it
Sorry, I think you posted this while I was typing. What are your GCSEs like?
maths_geek234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
Sorry, I think you posted this while I was typing. What are your GCSEs like?
They are REALLY ****, 1A* 2A's the rest were B's and 2C

I was really ill in hospital at the time
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They are REALLY ****, 1A* 2A's the rest were B's and 2C

I was really ill in hospital at the time
I'm sorry to hear that...what did you get in maths and English language?
maths_geek234
Rep:
?
I got B's in both :/

hence my reluctance to apply
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got B's in both :/

hence my reluctance to apply
Actually that will make things easier: if you'd got Cs then your options would have been far more limited.

Your GCSEs aren't outstanding but they're not bad either. I don't think you should have a half-arsed go at applying to medical school: you should either do it properly or not at all. And applying properly means using all four of your options. You're predicted AAA for your A levels, now you need to find a way of applying strategically i.e. avoiding the med schools which use GCSE results heavily when selecting candidates for interview e.g. Oxford, Cardiff, Birmingham.

Have a look at these links:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/news/en...ols-2018-entry

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...your_Strengths

You should also do lots of prep for the UKCAT as if you get a very high UKCAT score you can apply to the medical schools which are keen on high UKCAT scores.

Biochemistry courses are widely available, you could use your 5th choice for biochem or even get in via Clearing if you really wanted. But if you're going to apply for medicine you have to give your self the best possible chance of getting interviews, which means using all of your choices. Don't pay attention to any discouragement from your school - if you've got the right predicted grades, you're entitled to apply for whatever you like.

Have you done work experience and volunteering?
maths_geek234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
Actually that will make things easier: if you'd got Cs then your options would have been far more limited.

Your GCSEs aren't outstanding but they're not bad either. I don't think you should have a half-arsed go at applying to medical school: you should either do it properly or not at all. And applying properly means using all four of your options. You're predicted AAA for your A levels, now you need to find a way of applying strategically i.e. avoiding the med schools which use GCSE results heavily when selecting candidates for interview e.g. Oxford, Cardiff, Birmingham.

Have a look at these links:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/news/en...ols-2018-entry

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...your_Strengths

You should also do lots of prep for the UKCAT as if you get a very high UKCAT score you can apply to the medical schools which are keen on high UKCAT scores.

Biochemistry courses are widely available, you could use your 5th choice for biochem or even get in via Clearing if you really wanted. But if you're going to apply for medicine you have to give your self the best possible chance of getting interviews, which means using all of your choices. Don't pay attention to any discouragement from your school - if you've got the right predicted grades, you're entitled to apply for whatever you like.

Have you done work experience and volunteering?
Thanks and I'll take a look ,yeah I've done work experience but still need to do some volunteering
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
7.11%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.15%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.75%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.04%
There's nothing they could do (59)
29.95%

Watched Threads

Latest