The Student Room Group

Economics where? Liverpool Herriot-Watt etc.

Hi everyone this is for a friend.

He lives near Liverpool and his ambition had been to study there; cheap and easy for him to go to and it's a Russel Group, right?

Well after not doing great at AS Level he has decided to work on A2 and apply next year. Given that he has sort of realised he wasn't quite as good as he was (or I'm telling you that) tbh I think Liverpool's 3As might be a stretch. He can probably get A* in Economics (with some luck!) an A in maths (if he resits everything and some luck) and a A in computing (with some luck!)

What I'm saying is that I hope he can make the grades but I think he will struggle to meet Liverpool's entrance requirement.

He saw Herriot Watt with a BBB offer but that seems really low. What is puzzling is that HW ranks quite highly - much higher than Liverpool in both the Guardian and CUG league tables in economics.

So is that a good shout? What are employment options like there? Is the savings in staying in Liverpool worth the worse "performance"?
Bump ... or should I post somewhere else?
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Hi everyone this is for a friend.

He lives near Liverpool and his ambition had been to study there; cheap and easy for him to go to and it's a Russel Group, right?

Well after not doing great at AS Level he has decided to work on A2 and apply next year. Given that he has sort of realised he wasn't quite as good as he was (or I'm telling you that) tbh I think Liverpool's 3As might be a stretch. He can probably get A* in Economics (with some luck!) an A in maths (if he resits everything and some luck) and a A in computing (with some luck!)

What I'm saying is that I hope he can make the grades but I think he will struggle to meet Liverpool's entrance requirement.

He saw Herriot Watt with a BBB offer but that seems really low. What is puzzling is that HW ranks quite highly - much higher than Liverpool in both the Guardian and CUG league tables in economics.

So is that a good shout? What are employment options like there? Is the savings in staying in Liverpool worth the worse "performance"?

HW's BBB offer is for their four-year degree mainly aimed at Scottish students with only Highers (think AS level) in which the first year is spent getting people up to the equivalent of A2. Alternatively you can enter at the second year but the offer is ABB.
Original post by ageshallnot
HW's BBB offer is for their four-year degree mainly aimed at Scottish students with only Highers (think AS level) in which the first year is spent getting people up to the equivalent of A2. Alternatively you can enter at the second year but the offer is ABB.

Ahh I see makes sense.

As I said 3 As seems a bit of a stretch, especially when the uni in question seems quite lowly placed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending