The Student Room Group

How do i get a first in my first year of uni?

I got my results and I got A*AA in maths chemistry and physics respectively to study Chem Eng at Brum. I am very pleased with these results, but I know uni will be a lot harder and is harder than alevels. What should I do differently/same as I did at alevel to succeed at uni ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chemgawd99
I got my results and I got A*AA in maths chemistry and physics respectively to study Chem Eng at Brum. I am very pleased with these results, but I know uni will be a lot harder and is harder than alevels. What should I do differently/same as I did at alevel to succeed at uni ??

You don't. Just pass and enjoy your first year as much as possible. It doesn't usually count toward your final degree grade.

But to succeed at university in general you need to move away from A level style study and move toward your own directed learning and think about things a lot more critically.
Lighten up, m8.
Original post by Chemgawd99

Easily, just revise properly for exams and try as hard as you can on assignments. I managed to finish first year with a first by just doing as I would normally and putting effort into my work.

That being said not everyone instantly picks up Uni level work and does well. If you are getting lower marks just don't stress and talk to your tutors about feedback and how to do better, that's why they're there. First year doesn't count towards your final degree classification so don't stress yourself out too much.

I don't find University any harder than A levels, but then again your degree sounds more difficult than mine :laugh:
You must be fun at parties.
Original post by Cubone-r
You don't. Just pass and enjoy your first year as much as possible. It doesn't usually count toward your final degree grade.

But to succeed at university in general you need to move away from A level style study and move toward your own directed learning and think about things a lot more critically.

That's ridiculous advice. People shouldn't stress about first year as much as they do, but there are a lot of things to be learnt in first year that will make the other two/three years much easier. You don't want to go into second year not really understanding how you might maximise your grades.
Reply 6
Avoid the "first year doesn't count" type of people, if your first year doesn't actually count towards your overall classification that is...

The key difference for me in terms of improving my exam grades from semester 1 and 2 (58% to 74%) was asking as many questions as possible during tutorials and workshops. If something isn't crystal clear in your head and you can't explain it to someone else, do something about it. Besides that, enjoy yourself and try new things of course, but keep a balance between that and studies.
Original post by TajwarC
Avoid the "first year doesn't count" type of people, if your first year doesn't actually count towards your overall classification that is...

The key difference for me in terms of improving my exam grades from semester 1 and 2 (58% to 74%) was asking as many questions as possible during tutorials and workshops. If something isn't crystal clear in your head and you can't explain it to someone else, do something about it. Besides that, enjoy yourself and try new things of course, but keep a balance between that and studies.

Did I say not to study or pay attention in tutorials? I'm just advocating to chill out a bit during first year and don't burn yourself out before the real work starts.

Jeezo.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
That's ridiculous advice. People shouldn't stress about first year as much as they do, but there are a lot of things to be learnt in first year that will make the other two/three years much easier. You don't want to go into second year not really understanding how you might maximise your grades.

Did I say not to do those things?

You said "just pass". So no you never.
I don't understand the point of telling people to not bother in their first year. It really doesn't set up a good work ethic for second year when things actually count and first year is probably the best time to find out what study habit works for you.

My advice OP, work from the start.
- Don't leave everything until the exam season. Get your notes written up, sorted and organised as the year progresses so you don't get to March and realise you have to lecturecast a whole module or find half a module.missing somewhere in your room.
- When you get coursework, actually put some effort it because if you bomb your exams your coursework grades may very well keep you afloat.
- If you don't understand something, then go and get help from somebody so that you know what to do next time.
- Surround yourself with people who actually care about what they are doing. I'm not saying shun anybody who is just there to piss around, but you do pick up the study habits of others at times, especially is you study with them. Chances are you won't see most of the people you meet at uni again and probably won't be friends with most of your 'first' year friends by second year. Don't give up good chances for bad influences.
- Don't use study drugs.
- Get to know your personal tutor.
- Stay healthy and develop healthy habits. A healthy body is a healthy mind etc. which brings me onto my next point.
- Keep an eye on your mental health.

'Just pass' is the kind of lazy attitude that can become hard to get rid off.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You said "just pass". So no you never.

Savage, you got me there.
Original post by gradmed305
'Just pass' is the kind of lazy attitude that can become hard to get rid off.

I'm in the sh*tter then.
Although your first year doesn't usually count to your final classification, it is still important to make the effort (as I have learnt from experience).
I really struggled to get top marks at uni, but some things to consider are to:
- always read the module descriptor/handbook. They will provide you with books to read and what you need to pass and do well for that module,
- become an expert at critical analysis - university assignments require critical analysis and this can take some practice. Take advantage of the library at your university, they often hold skills sessions which will really help you to write assignments and be critical in general.
- develop a good working relationship with your personal tutor and module leaders - they are the ones who can advise you on what to do to achieve top marks and maximise your knowledge! E-mail them regularly and always go to them for help if you are struggling with anything.
- maintain a healthy balance. You have to come university to learn and earn a degree, but don't let this be at the expense of your health. If you are struggling with things, always speak to someone so you get the best support.

Good luck!
Watch out for group assessments. They're a minefield, particularly in years 2 and 3 when the outcomes may contribute towards your final degree classification.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Watch out for group assessments. They're a minefield, particularly in years 2 and 3 when the outcomes may contribute towards your final degree classification.

Oh how I hate group work :unimpressed:
So because I had a bit of fun whilst completing my degree I am not going to achieve anything tangible... :laugh:

You really need to get out more.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes and I know people who totally capitulated in their final year (who were on track for firsts) because they were so stressed and actually performed worse than they would have done otherwise.

A balance needs to be struck, imo.
So because I had a bit of fun whilst completing my degree I am not going to achieve anything tangible... :laugh:

You really need to get out more.

Life and soul of the party, you pal. Just stood in the centre dishing out terrible advice to anyone dumb enough to listen to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending