The Student Room Group

Games Technology Job prospects

I am a student studying Computer Games Technology in Bournemouth University.It is not one of those typical Games Design courses,instead it has plenty of coding involved.I have done C++,designed a basic 2D game with knowledge of Object Oriented Programming in my 1st year.Going into my second year,I also have OpenGL and C#.I also plan on doing my dissertation in 3rd year based on Software development and coding.My question,since I have already completed my 1st year and have a placement year too,will I be able to find a placement/job in other industries like trading,finance or traditional software development since Games Industry is considered to be very competitive and niche in nature?I have also kept a 2:1 all through my 1st year. Any help will be really appreciated since all I am hearing right now is that I have screwed myself career wise as games degrees are worthless.
Hmm you seem to be in a tough situation man. I don't know about how welcoming Information Security/CS institutions will be towards gaming degrees though I'm sure you'll find plenty of opportunities in the tech world, ik someone who graduated from kingston in games tech then went onto work at an international telephone/sim company and now is the Creative Director at a media agency. So man I'd probably set my goals at the digital/tech media industry and try and make it big there
All the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest