The Student Room Group

Smoking question

Most people I know, even those who smoke a lot reguarly, know that smoking is bad for them but I was thinking: how many people on here have at least once tried smoking?

I've smoked a couple of times just to experience it and most of the people I know have at least taken a drag from a cigarette. However, only two of my mates are regular smokers.

I was wondering how many people on here have tried smoking, and whether you carried on and became a regular smoker?
i started out with a couple whenever i was with my smoker friend and eventually started smoking regularly. lasted for over a year then i quit in april because i didn't want it to kill any more brain cells before my exams. i didn't find it hard to quit at all even though i have a very addictive personality and wonder why some people are dead set they can't go without cigs
I tried it as u do when I was like 13 thinking I was cool with a group of my secondary school mates and then somehow picked up the habit from 15 as before I just used to socially smoke and now I don't think I could go a day without a fag 😬😂
Reply 3
Yeah I tried smoking with a couple of freinds a couple of years ago at school. It became a bit of a habit, as it did for a couple of my mates, and before I knew it I was smoking a lot. I've cut back compared to what I was smoking though I still smoke quite a lot on a night out. Think that's how people get started, some try it once and hate it and never try again while others make it more of a habit and get addicted.
I smoked for about 6 years, now I vape like all the cool kids :ahee:
16, never tried. None of my friends smoked (they might have tried but definitely not regularly), and I didn't really feel the need to try it. It's not just the lung cancer that puts me off - it's the awful smell and the sheer cost of buying them.
First tried when I was 11 (year 11s used to sell cigarettes for 50p in the toilets!). I still smoke now, at the age of 25, but I'm not really a regular smoker. I smoke when I drink, and I don't drink all that often - two or three times a year. Mind you, the last packet I bought lasted longer than the one night, because you now have to buy at least 20. You can't get 10s any longer.

I still smoke, yes. But infrequently. I know it's still as bad.
No. I saw what it did to my dad and granddad. Didn't want to end up like them.
I first started smoking when I was 13 but just a few times a week/ at parties like a stupid 13 year old. When I started sixth form it became far more regular. Obviously I'm aware of all the risks but honestly they feel like a long way off and I don't feel concerned.
NGL I would quite like some "fake" ciggis. You know just to light them and they create smoke but obviously I don't want to inhale anything because that'd be bad. Quite a good prop xD

Wtf am I even admitting ...
Been a regular smoker for about fourteen(ish) years.

Original post by Meany Pie
I smoked for about 6 years, now I vape like all the cool kids :ahee:
Couldn't get into vaping :iiam:
Original post by maroumarou
I first started smoking when I was 13 but just a few times a week/ at parties like a stupid 13 year old. When I started sixth form it became far more regular. Obviously I'm aware of all the risks but honestly they feel like a long way off and I don't feel concerned.

But they're not a long way off. The chances are you will die from a smoking-related disease, and have many years of terrible health before that time. Why doesn't that concern you at all? (genuine question)
Original post by Tootles
Couldn't get into vaping :iiam:

Once you get over coughing up years of poor choices it isn't too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello!

As I've seen some worryingly silly, misleading posts in this thread:

Smoking is not good for you.
Smoking will not cure Alzheimer's.
Smoking can cause cancer.

Of course it's not always the cause, but the tar the lines your lungs from smoking can cause lung cancer.

Might I remind everyone that the question the OP asked is: "I was wondering how many people on here have tried smoking, and whether you carried on and became a regular smoker?" and not whether smoking causes cancer, has health benefits or what have you. With that in mind, can we stop spreading fictitious nonsense about the supposed hocus-pocus benefits of ingesting tar (you know, the bit that causes lung cancer), smoke (this stuff can cause bronchitis) carbon monoxide (this stuff can cause heart disease) and nicotine (so can this stuff) and get back on topic, please?

Many thanks, take care, etc
(edited 6 years ago)
You might as well set fire to a load of money... One of my friends gave up smoking when he was in his early 20s. He thinks that by giving up, he had enough to buy his house.

My granddad used to smoke and ended up with COPD, plus 2 different types of cancer because of it.
Original post by Reality Check
But they're not a long way off. The chances are you will die from a smoking-related disease, and have many years of terrible health before that time. Why doesn't that concern you at all? (genuine question)

So many people who live incredibly healthy lives have horrific battles with a whole range of health conditions in their final years. I may as well die from a smoking related disease as any other.
Original post by maroumarou
So many people who live incredibly healthy lives have horrific battles with a whole range of health conditions in their final years. I may as well die from a smoking related disease as any other.

You want to live your last years on oxygen and unable to breathe properly? Sounds fun. My dad is in his late 50s. He smoked for some 25-30 years. He now gets constant chest and sinus problems. His teeth and fingers are yellow and he used to smell really bad.
Original post by Tiger Rag
You want to live your last years on oxygen and unable to breathe properly? Sounds fun. My dad is in his late 50s. He smoked for some 25-30 years. He now gets constant chest and sinus problems. His teeth and fingers are yellow and he used to smell really bad.

Equally, I could be incredibly healthy and get another type of cancer. I could live for ages and then have dementia and be unable to recognise my loved ones, and eventually be totally unable to care for myself. Also fun!

I'm sorry about your father's health problems but I've already dealt with quite a lot of health issues as a child and as a result I have little concern for my own health.

I'm not trying to use this as a justification for anyone else, it's just that personally these things don't really bother me.

The majority of my family and a lot of my friends are also smokers so this makes it harder too.
Unlocked. Please start your own debate in the correct section of the site if you wish to versus derailing someone's thread, this is the wrong place for it. Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest