Year 10 tips: Exams, triple science, maths etcc

Watch
username3460126
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Going into year 10 this year so are there any tips. They can be general or aimed at year 10 triple science tips or maths tips ( doing higher paper)
LlamaLikeEllie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly, year 10 isn't that bad, and I didn't really find it a step up from year 9. I found the jump from year 10 to year 11 worse.
- If you have a class test, or a mock exam, revise for it. It will help you to remember the knowledge, and you can create resources when revising.
- I didn't do this, but I wish I had, and that is to make revision resources. It saves time in year 11, when you have the year 11 content to organise.
- Do all your homework, as it will help with revision. In year 10, I honestly didn't do much revision outside of my homework, and I still managed to get decent grades in my end of year exams.
- I would recommend getting a folder for maths, and putting all your work in that. I had 2 big folders, and every lesson I would put the work we did in the correct unit, in my folder. It made it so much easier to revise for maths.
- Start learning English quotes! The earlier you start, the more quotes you can learn.

Don't stress yourself out too much in Year 10. Make sure you have lots of fun, as it's the last year really where you don't have to work too hard
LlamaLikeEllie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by A.N123)
Going into year 10 this year so are there any tips. They can be general or aimed at year 10 triple science tips or maths tips ( doing higher paper)
Also, there's usually a year 10 thread, that will be created when school starts again. You might be able to get some tips on there.
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Main tip is to not relax. Work your hardest in year 10 because in year 11, you will be in a shithole. There will be so much stuff that you will not be able to relax and it's pretty much a race till the end. Revise for subjects e.g. geography, maths, science from now and start making notes. Do lots of past papers (only when you finish the topics though) and build an understanding of the topics you cover so when you go into year 11, you can just look at your notes and not sit down to memorise your entire course.
also like LlamaLikeEllie said, organise your work from now. This way, you will find it easier to just revise and it won't be much hassle. Go through the quotes for english lit, write them down and start memorising them. Because you have time, you can also link the quotes to different characters and themes etc. Poetry is something which you will regret not memorising in year 11 so my best suggestion now would be to start learning the poems because it will save you tons of time before the exam.
username3460126
Rep:
?
(Original post by LlamaLikeEllie)
Honestly, year 10 isn't that bad, and I didn't really find it a step up from year 9. I found the jump from year 10 to year 11 worse.
- If you have a class test, or a mock exam, revise for it. It will help you to remember the knowledge, and you can create resources when revising.
- I didn't do this, but I wish I had, and that is to make revision resources. It saves time in year 11, when you have the year 11 content to organise.
- Do all your homework, as it will help with revision. In year 10, I honestly didn't do much revision outside of my homework, and I still managed to get decent grades in my end of year exams.
- I would recommend getting a folder for maths, and putting all your work in that. I had 2 big folders, and every lesson I would put the work we did in the correct unit, in my folder. It made it so much easier to revise for maths.
- Start learning English quotes! The earlier you start, the more quotes you can learn.

Don't stress yourself out too much in Year 10. Make sure you have lots of fun, as it's the last year really where you don't have to work too hard
(Original post by LlamaLikeEllie)

Thank You for the advice 💗
username3460126
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=y.u.mad.bro?;73332550]Main tip is to not relax. Work your hardest in year 10 because in year 11, you will be in a shithole. There will be so much stuff that you will not be able to relax and it's pretty much a race till the end. Revise for subjects e.g. geography, maths, science from now and start making notes. Do lots of past papers (only when you finish the topics though) and build an understanding of the topics you cover so when you go into year 11, you can just look at your notes and not sit down to memorise your entire course.
also like LlamaLikeEllie said, organise your work from now. This way, you will find it easier to just revise and it won't be much hassle. Go through the quotes for english lit, write them down and start memorising them. Because you have time, you can also link the quotes to different characters and themes etc. Poetry is something which you will regret not memorising in year 11 so my best suggestion now would be to start learning the poems because it will save you tons of time before the exam.[/QUOTE

Thank You for the advice but just wondering where i would get the past papers from? 💗💗
LlamaLikeEllie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
[QUOTE=A.N123;73344586]
(Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
Main tip is to not relax. Work your hardest in year 10 because in year 11, you will be in a shithole. There will be so much stuff that you will not be able to relax and it's pretty much a race till the end. Revise for subjects e.g. geography, maths, science from now and start making notes. Do lots of past papers (only when you finish the topics though) and build an understanding of the topics you cover so when you go into year 11, you can just look at your notes and not sit down to memorise your entire course.
also like LlamaLikeEllie said, organise your work from now. This way, you will find it easier to just revise and it won't be much hassle. Go through the quotes for english lit, write them down and start memorising them. Because you have time, you can also link the quotes to different characters and themes etc. Poetry is something which you will regret not memorising in year 11 so my best suggestion now would be to start learning the poems because it will save you tons of time before the exam.[/QUOTE

Thank You for the advice but just wondering where i would get the past papers from? 💗💗
You obviously won't be able to get them from the new spec as this is the first year for most subjects. I used mathsgenie, and they have lots of practice questions for maths. You can also go on the exam boards for most websites and they'll have specimen papers for you to do
loveyxutube
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm not sure whether you wanted any more advice but I found this and have just finished year 10. What I would say is enjoy year 10! Honestly that is the most important thing you need to do, please don't stress yourself out as this will not be beneficial for your mental health at all and unless you're taking early exams, there is not anything for you to get too worried about However, it is also incredibly important that you are organised. Looking back at year 10, I realise this would have been incredibly important. Staying on top of everything will make life much easier for year 11 so that you can have a smooth transition and not have to worry in the summer Also, I beg of you not to cheat on your end of unit tests because, if you're like my school, we are not in our forms for subjects anymore and this makes it even easier for students to tell their friends the answers and questions on tests. You have to know, these tests will be incredibly important when you have end of years and mocks because there really aren't many resources (like past papers) online. However, as I said before, the most important thing is to enjoy yourself
username3460126
Rep:
?
(Original post by loveyxutube)
Hi, I'm not sure whether you wanted any more advice but I found this and have just finished year 10. What I would say is enjoy year 10! Honestly that is the most important thing you need to do, please don't stress yourself out as this will not be beneficial for your mental health at all and unless you're taking early exams, there is not anything for you to get too worried about However, it is also incredibly important that you are organised. Looking back at year 10, I realise this would have been incredibly important. Staying on top of everything will make life much easier for year 11 so that you can have a smooth transition and not have to worry in the summer Also, I beg of you not to cheat on your end of unit tests because, if you're like my school, we are not in our forms for subjects anymore and this makes it even easier for students to tell their friends the answers and questions on tests. You have to know, these tests will be incredibly important when you have end of years and mocks because there really aren't many resources (like past papers) online. However, as I said before, the most important thing is to enjoy yourself
Thank You for the advice
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok, so I'm year 12 and this is what I wish I'd don't differently in year 11, now that I've had a year to reflect and to improve my revision strategies!

1. Work out when you are most productive, how long you can stay concentrated for and utilise this. Personally, I always thought that I was a night-owl but this year I've really found that keeping to my usual school timetable at weekends and in holidays really helps. I still get a live-in as I don't have to travel anywhere, but doing more work in the morning than the evening has really helped. I've also found that I can quite easily concentrate for an hour, but that after that I need 5 minutes break before doing another hour.

2. Don't write notes. In summer between year 10 and 11 I wrote a lot of notes, and it was a complete waste of time. They were prettier than my usual school notes, but I learnt nothing from the process and it took an incredible amount of time. Unless you need to add more detail or you're summarising an article, documentary, key points, etc, don't just write notes. However, at GCSE, the information in you need should all be in your textbooks and school notes, so I might even go as far as to say just don't write notes in your revision time!

3. Test yourself constantly. Whether it's doing Quizlet vocab for languages, learning key dates or learning quote flashcards for English, testing, correcting and testing yourself again is one of the most effective methods of revision. In addition to objectively showing you what you do and don't know, doing/marking past paper questions will show you how to answer questions, and generally testing yourself until you get facts right will help you to remember things far better than reading notes ever will!

4. Do all homework to a high standard the first time, and list any questions/ problems you have so that you can ask your teacher at the time. That way, when it gets to march-april and you're going over everything it will just be a case if memorising rather than teaching yourself what you didn't know before.

5. Have breaks - quality over quantity! You will remember facts better in small chunks than trying to memorise massive fact-files in one go!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (183)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (625)
48.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed