The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brynone
Glad I'm not the only one with this issue!

Yeah I know. My other peers also have stalled.

But I've promised myself I shall get some done AFTER Christmas. But I will not respond to her emails if my tutor tries to hunt me down!
Original post by Abbiejadex
Im just starting to write my 10,000 word dissertation on parenting with a learning disability. I chose the topic because mothers who have LD are more likely than any other group of parents to have their children removed from their care and I would therefore like to explore what support they are being offered during pregnancy and parenthood to prevent this... I havent thought of a specific question yet though, Im just seeing how it goes 😓

Good luck everyone

Oh wow, that sounds like a really intriguing exploration.

What degree is this for? I'm guessing something like Social Work, Sociology or Psychology perhaps?
Original post by Airmed
Got excited the other morning when I got a Google Scholar notification for the first academic, recently published, paper that will actually be useful for my dissertation :lol: Freaked out my poor SO who was still in bed. :rofl:

Haha, love it!

What was the book on?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Oh wow, that sounds like a really intriguing exploration.

What degree is this for? I'm guessing something like Social Work, Sociology or Psychology perhaps?

Thanks, its definitely interesting but very complex. Suppose it means I shouldnt have any trouble writing 10,000 words haha. Yeah Social Work degree! :smile:
How many words do you guys have to do?

My dissertation doesnt really feel like one..

I only have to do 3600 words. No methods or anything either as we dont do any experiments or stuff

So it’s basically a 3600 word essay...
:/

Shouldnt take a few days, right?

Is this normal?
(edited 6 years ago)
You lot should try an 85,000 word thesis. Such whingers.
Original post by faith 101

I only have to do 3600 words. No methods or anything either as we dont do any experiments or stuff

Is this normal?

Ive never heard of a 3600 word count for a dissertation before, Ive got a 4000 word assignment due in the very same week as my 10 000 word dissertation is due 😫 you're very lucky!
Original post by DrSocSciences
You lot should try an 85,000 word thesis. Such whingers.

85,000 words 😵 what are you studying?
85,000 words 😵 what are you studying?

PhD. The final 4 weeks before submission took me to the darkest places I've ever experienced.
Original post by DrSocSciences
PhD. The final 4 weeks before submission took me to the darkest places I've ever experienced.

Wow, I could only imagine. There is no way Id be capable of completing that at all, what an achievement for you! and heres me almost in tears over 10,000 words... Thank you for putting things into perspective haha
I’m literally dreading my dissertation lol

I’m in the final year of my nursing degree and I’m doing a literature review
Could anybody point me in the right direction please? My dissertation is classed as a literature review as we arent able to conduct our own research. The sections are; intro, background, legislation & policy, lit review, discussion, recommendations. My only issue is idk how to go about the leg&policy bit, would I just write this section as I would a law/social policy assignment concerning my chosen topic or would that not be suitable for this work? I just dont know how else I could go about it and havent been offered much guidance 😕 thanks x
Reply 92
Please spare 2 minutes to fill out my survey for my dissertation! it's on the police and social media. I will return the favour! :smile:
Thanks.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/97B6QMR
Original post by faith 101

Is this normal?

Well is your essay classed as a "dissertation" or something like an "independent project"? If it is not classed as a dissertation by your uni course/dept. then it probably isn't one. It might just be a literature review or something.

Your best bet is to ask your tutor or the module leader for clarification.
Wow, I could only imagine. There is no way Id be capable of completing that at all, what an achievement for you! and heres me almost in tears over 10,000 words... Thank you for putting things into perspective haha

Well, dissertations are hard too! We're at Bachelor's level, not Ph.D so ignore what this poster is saying about we should not be complaining!
Could anybody point me in the right direction please? My dissertation is classed as a literature review as we arent able to conduct our own research. The sections are; intro, background, legislation & policy, lit review, discussion, recommendations. My only issue is idk how to go about the leg&policy bit, would I just write this section as I would a law/social policy assignment concerning my chosen topic or would that not be suitable for this work? I just dont know how else I could go about it and havent been offered much guidance 😕 thanks x

Perhaps speak to your supervisor or module leader if you're a bit unsure!
Original post by ELogan
Please spare 2 minutes to fill out my survey for my dissertation! it's on the police and social media. I will return the favour! :smile:
Thanks.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/97B6QMR

In future, if you wish to have participants in your survey, use Student Surveys and Research forum. It is against TSR rules to have such posts in these threads. :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=319
This seems so interesting! good luck with it! X
Good ideas!
My Masters Dissertation is to be between 15-17,000 words and I really think I'm going to go over this :frown:

I've completed my literature review which my supervisor is very happy with. It's about 4900 words and my supervisor said not to go above 5000.

I have a separate chapter on policy background which is about 2000 words. I am thinking of also having a chapter on theories, which is about 1500 words.

Together with my introduction, abstract...I'm already just under 9000 words. I've still to write my methodology (2-3000 words is the guidance), my findings (2000 words), discussion (3000 words) and conclusion (1000 words).

I think I'm going to be really tight for word count. My policy and theory chapters are extras which are not required but my supervisor said my topic needed a separate policy chapter (she didn't say anything about theories so I wasn't sure whether to include this in my literature review especially since that's already at about 5000 words and supervisor is happy with it.)

How the hell do I stay within word count?

I start my actual research in February I think, I am still waiting for the ethics approval which can take anything for 2 weeks to a month! What if I don't get any participants? My topic is very specific so I can't just ask anyone to participate :frown:

Totally stressed.

Latest

Trending

Trending