nabid61
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ok so I passed Law and Politics but failed History. I have been forced to do an intensive BTEC (apparantly equivalent to 1 A-level which in reality it really isn't) but don't know what will be helpful for both Law and Digital Marketing.

The options are Business or Media. I know that business will look better if I were to apply for Law, but would it make a difference for applying to digital marketing if I picked business over Media? And yes I know that A-levels aren't really required but I'm talking about what is more preferred.

By the way Digital Marketing is my second option if I can't get into Law. I want to pick a subject which will keep my option open for BOTH industries.
squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nabid61)
Ok so I passed Law and Politics but failed History. I have been forced to do an intensive BTEC (apparantly equivalent to 1 A-level which in reality it really isn't) but don't know what will be helpful for both Law and Digital Marketing.

The options are Business or Media. I know that business will look better if I were to apply for Law, but would it make a difference for applying to digital marketing if I picked business over Media? And yes I know that A-levels aren't really required but I'm talking about what is more preferred.

By the way Digital Marketing is my second option if I can't get into Law. I want to pick a subject which will keep my option open for BOTH industries.
You have posted this in the Apprenticeship and alternatives to university forum, are you speaking about what subjects would be preferred for applying to apprenticeships or a university course?

I presume it's the latter, so I'd recommend you just start looking at universities that you want to attend and see their requirements for what subjects that they want. I would personally choose Business over Media though.
nabid61
Rep:
?
(Original post by squirrology)
You have posted this in the Apprenticeship and alternatives to university forum, are you speaking about what subjects would be preferred for applying to apprenticeships or a university course?

I presume it's the latter, so I'd recommend you just start looking at universities that you want to attend and see their requirements for what subjects that they want. I would personally choose Business over Media though.
Thanks for the reply.

I called up some uni's and checked their websites and usually for Law they don't require specific subjects, although they said business would be preferred over media.

I also checked some Digital Marketing apprenticeships online they don't really require subjects, just a basic knowledge of IT. Despite this A-levels do still put you in a slightly better position but They usually say no it wouldn't but preferably speaking I'm trying to figure that out.

Am I overthinking it or are they actually telling the truth that I will have an equal chance if employment for a digital marketing apprenticeship.
nabid61
Rep:
?
If I picked business over media or vice versa
squirrology
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for the reply.

I called up some uni's and checked their websites and usually for Law they don't require specific subjects, although they said business would be preferred over media.
Ideally, humanities subjects are useful to have when applying to courses like Law and you mentioned above you've passed Politics and Law so that would be fine.

I also checked some Digital Marketing apprenticeships online they don't really require subjects, just a basic knowledge of IT. Despite this A-levels do still put you in a slightly better position but They usually say no it wouldn't but preferably speaking I'm trying to figure that out.

Am I overthinking it or are they actually telling the truth that I will have an equal chance if employment for a digital marketing apprenticeship?
Yeah, I think you're overthinking it just a bit. Though, in my opinion, I would say it would put you to a slight advantage as you would have more to say in the interviews, however, when they say they do not have requirements, they do mean it, as long as you have a genuine interest in Digital Marketing.
Danny Dorito
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Just tagging a few people in
Weeping/Gnashing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Statistics, Business, Economics, Maths.

Also Computer Science.
University of Surrey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hi nabid61,

I actually work in the digital marketing department within the university, so I can offer a bit more insight into this for you

With regards to which subject would be better in terms of digital marketing, it would depend on the type of digital role you'd be looking to do. We have developers, designers, content creators, copywriters, project managers and a social media team all within the digital department. It also depends on what the course content of A Level Media is (apologies, I don't know the answer to this!) - would there be any coding, or using design software? Those skills would be useful if you were to work in digital marketing. However, Business is a good all-round subject. A lot of digital marketing depends on understanding how the business you're working for functions, how to structure marketing campaigns, and knowing how to create the best content and website/social media to engage your target audience.

If I were in your shoes, I'd choose Business simply because it's a good subject to have for both law and digital marketing. Do what feels right for you

All the best,
Ashley
Apprenticeships Advice
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hey!

Apprenticeships are being offered in a number of different ways; meaning entry requirements are very broad for some apprenticeships. It might be worth having a look at potential apprenticeships that you possible could go into.

Have a look at the governments website for more information on apprenticeships: https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-guide/overview

If you want to have a look at what's going on within the apprenticeship world, take a look at the Governments Find An Apprenticeship vacancy website:
https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch

Best of luck!

- Ben
Capita Careers UK
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hi

I just wanted to clarify whether you are looking at A levels to gain a role in either law or digital media or if you were asking if there were prerequisite courses at university?

If it is for finding a role in digital marketing I would recommend business as a subject, having recruited a number of graduate and apprentice digital marketing roles in the past, the candidates having a good knowledge of marketing is key and this is something gained in the business qualification, there is usually also the opportunity to look more in depth into the digital marketing arena if you choose to.

If it is looking for what is needed to get onto a degree course for either I would double check the university's website to see as this may vary between institutions.

I hope that this helps

Thanks

Jo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.85%
I don't have everything I need (293)
43.15%

Watched Threads