Wareo777
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I love geography as a subject and would love to do it at uni. However i dont see the uses of a geography degree in getting a good job. any advice about what i can do with the degree or similar but better degrees will be greatly appreciated.
OMG354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Be a doctor, so much geography included. If you really love geography, be a doctor.
Wareo777
Rep:
?
(Original post by OMG354)
Be a doctor, so much geography included. If you really love geography, be a doctor.
Im guessing sarcasm
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wareo777)
I love geography as a subject and would love to do it at uni. However i dont see the uses of a geography degree in getting a good job. any advice about what i can do with the degree or similar but better degrees will be greatly appreciated.
An undergraduate degree in geography could help you to get into Master's degrees and jobs in areas such as cartography, GIS, environmental pollution/consultancy, soil science, glaciology, flood risk or hydrology, depending on your interests.

You could also consider studying for a degree in Geology (or a combination of geology and geography). Geology overlaps in some places with geography, but also goes into detail about what the Earth is made of (rocks and minerals), processes acting above and below the surface, resources such as water, oil and gas, among others. A degree in geology would keep a lot of Master's and job options which are related to the physical side of geography open to you, but also opens up a wide range of other areas which are more specific to Earth science, for example engineering geology, hydrogeology, seismology, volcanology, geochemistry, mining, oil and gas, and so on.

I hope that helps
Wareo777
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
An undergraduate degree in geography could help you to get into Master's degrees and jobs in areas such as cartography, GIS, environmental pollution/consultancy, soil science, glaciology, flood risk or hydrology, depending on your interests.

You could also consider studying for a degree in Geology (or a combination of geology and geography). Geology overlaps in some places with geography, but also goes into detail about what the Earth is made of (rocks and minerals), processes acting above and below the surface, resources such as water, oil and gas, among others. A degree in geology would keep a lot of Master's and job options which are related to the physical side of geography open to you, but also opens up a wide range of other areas which are more specific to Earth science, for example engineering geology, hydrogeology, seismology, volcanology, geochemistry, mining, oil and gas, and so on.

I hope that helps
Thanks man really helped
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can do pretty much anything you can do with any social science/arts degree - it's pretty varied and I believe thought of fairly well by employers.

People from my year at uni have gone on to all sorts of things - some have stayed very central to geography either through academia/planning/conservation etc but most of us have done something different! So finance, head office grad schemes, law, teaching....it really doesn't rule you out of much other than vocational jobs.
Wareo777
Rep:
?
(Original post by lauralodge)
You can do pretty much anything you can do with any social science/arts degree - it's pretty varied and I believe thought of fairly well by employers.

People from my year at uni have gone on to all sorts of things - some have stayed very central to geography either through academia/planning/conservation etc but most of us have done something different! So finance, head office grad schemes, law, teaching....it really doesn't rule you out of much other than vocational jobs.
thanks man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (48)
16.22%
I'm not sure (8)
2.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (101)
34.12%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.35%
I'm not a current university student (135)
45.61%

Watched Threads