The Student Room Group
There is a lot of snobbery.
Ive also seen very passionate defences of the place by students who attend.
Most people on TSR dont care.
Go somewhere you are happy with. Imo it has a pretty good reputation.
If you regret things that much then resit.
Original post by snyar
After declining Exeter's offer to study at their Cornwall campus due to its location, I've accepted a place on Lancaster's Business Studies course, the entry requirements of which are AAB and is currently in clearing at ABB. However, going over this forum it seems very few rate this university and believe it's only comparable to low-end RG unis, despite its consistent league table ranking for the last 9 years on CUG.

It also concerns me how so many courses are still in clearing, which suggests people don't want to go there.

I'm now regretting not giving more attention to other universities on the first day of clearing, as I remember seeing Management at Manchester for example being available.

I have grades ABB and planned on adding an additional A* or A in the form of Sociology (had a high A at AS) but due to mismanagement by my admissions officer at my old school I had to withdraw and ended up getting rejected by Exeter (Streatham campus) come results day due to not reaching their offer conditions. I'm 21 now and my old subject specs can no longer be retaken, so this increasingly feels like my last shot at all this and I have nothing else to fall back on.

I do very much regret not trying harder at school and fulfilling my potential, as three A's or more was certainly attainable, but there were circumstances out of my control.

Any opinions appreciated.

Omg, i was almost at the exactly the same situation as you 3 days ago. I told my firm to put me into clearing due to i had a change of mind into changing course. So i called up lancaster and Exeter and got both offers for history. Like you, the offer that i received from Exeter was at the cornwall campus and so i decline the offer.Also i have two friends are going to Lancaster as well so thats a bonus.
Tbh i am also quite confused why this university isn't that well known despite it being at top 10 in 3 different league tables
Reply 3
Probably snobbishness and the remote location.
A lot of tsr users don't know any more than you do and are parroting. If they're able to back up their opinion with some sort of believable evidence or experience then they might be worth listening to.
bear in mind that in all aspects of life an unhappy customer will go on about their negative experience a lot more than a happy customer will go on about their positive experience.
Imo Lancaster is basically less fashionable with southern privately educated applicants than, say, Exeter because they've been indoctrinated to think that Exeter is all chocolate box cottages and cream teas whereas Lancaster (and the north generally) is all smoke belching factories and coal miners fighting the police.
Reply 5
Original post by snyar
After declining Exeter's offer to study at their Cornwall campus due to its location, I've accepted a place on Lancaster's Business Studies course, the entry requirements of which are AAB and is currently in clearing at ABB. However, going over this forum it seems very few rate this university and believe it's only comparable to low-end RG unis, despite its consistent league table ranking for the last 9 years on CUG.

It also concerns me how so many courses are still in clearing, which suggests people don't want to go there.

I'm now regretting not giving more attention to other universities on the first day of clearing, as I remember seeing Management at Manchester for example being available.

I have grades ABB and planned on adding an additional A* or A in the form of Sociology (had a high A at AS) but due to mismanagement by my admissions officer at my old school I had to withdraw and ended up getting rejected by Exeter (Streatham campus) come results day due to not reaching their offer conditions. I'm 21 now and my old subject specs can no longer be retaken, so this increasingly feels like my last shot at all this and I have nothing else to fall back on.

I do very much regret not trying harder at school and fulfilling my potential, as three A's or more was certainly attainable, but there were circumstances out of my control.

Any opinions appreciated.

I would say Lancaster is a great university and has a good overall reputation and you should be happy going there. However, I would agree that Lancaster is very underrated and part of it is because it is not in the Russel group, also it is a new university and not seen in the same league as say Manchester or Sheffield as these universities are more traditional. add onto that, the fact that it is in a very remote location and so people would rather go to a russel group university sitiuated in a big city than to go to Lancaster as they both offer the same grades. anyways, if you feel happy in Lancaster and love it, then go for it! there is nothing worse than going to a University you do not like.
Original post by Joinedup
A lot of tsr users don't know any more than you do and are parroting. If they're able to back up their opinion with some sort of believable evidence or experience then they might be worth listening to.
bear in mind that in all aspects of life an unhappy customer will go on about their negative experience a lot more than a happy customer will go on about their positive experience.
Imo Lancaster is basically less fashionable with southern privately educated applicants than, say, Exeter because they've been indoctrinated to think that Exeter is all chocolate box cottages and cream teas whereas Lancaster (and the north generally) is all smoke belching factories and coal miners fighting the police.

Agreed!! Many students like to show off how brilliant they are and how amazing their University is BECAUSE that particular Uni has won the popularity contest. And haven't they done well do get in. Exeter is over rated - full of privately educated automatons, like Bristol and Durham. Lancaster may be too far from mummy and daddy in London or the Shire counties.
Original post by Yazan10
I would say Lancaster is a great university and has a good overall reputation and you should be happy going there. However, I would agree that Lancaster is very underrated and part of it is because it is not in the Russel group, also it is a new university and not seen in the same league as say Manchester or Sheffield as these universities are more traditional. add onto that, the fact that it is in a very remote location and so people would rather go to a russel group university sitiuated in a big city than to go to Lancaster as they both offer the same grades. anyways, if you feel happy in Lancaster and love it, then go for it! there is nothing worse than going to a University you do not like.

Most students haven't a clue what Russell group means. Why would they be so concerned about it? There are top Uni's outside of Russell Group and many outperform those in the Russel Group. As far as Lancaster being remote can be a huge advantage - and how does remoteness reflect quality? Want to study in a big crime infested, deprived city? Some do, many don't. Huge assumptions being made on this site about the characteristics of quality and what students should be looking for in a university.
Reply 8
Don't worry!! You are going to a great University. It is ranked in the top ten in every league table going - much higher than many Russell Group Universities. You have done incredibly well to get there, and their Business School (for Post grad study) is also very well regarded....so although it must be difficult to imagine your next step, that possibility is also there should you want to study beyond your 3 year course. Enjoy, lovely campus too.
Original post by Brighon8
Don't worry!! You are going to a great University. It is ranked in the top ten in every league table going - much higher than many Russell Group Universities. You have done incredibly well to get there, and their Business School (for Post grad study) is also very well regarded....so although it must be difficult to imagine your next step, that possibility is also there should you want to study beyond your 3 year course. Enjoy, lovely campus too.

TBF the league tables need to be treated with a massive pinch of salt and recognised for what they are.
Isn't Lancaster better than most Russel Groups anyways? Arguably better than Exeter too? Who cares lmao.

Latest

Trending

Trending