Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm about to enter Yr 13, where I will be doing OCR Physics A A Level (I got an A in AS btw). I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on how to get an A/A* next year? I've heard that A2 Physics is a lot harder than AS Physics and I'm a bit worried about how it might go.

Thanks in advance
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Personally I do arts subjects so I'm not much help but my boyfriend did this - he found AS relatively simple and got an A and a really good score, but found A2 took so much work! He just dedicated every night to it and worked for hours just learning the facts and said that doing past papers helped the most! He says it was really difficult but came out of y13 with an A and is really happy 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyoliviax)
    Personally I do arts subjects so I'm not much help but my boyfriend did this - he found AS relatively simple and got an A and a really good score, but found A2 took so much work! He just dedicated every night to it and worked for hours just learning the facts and said that doing past papers helped the most! He says it was really difficult but came out of y13 with an A and is really happy 😊
    Yeah, having a bf/gf cheer you on always helps Focusing in class and making sure there's no/few gaps is key, as are past synoptic papers (any board/format) for the linear A-Levels.

Make sure you're watertight on written Qs (strict/pedantic markschemes). Lastly, use TSR, teachers etc for any Qs; however minor/major.

ReputationRep:
    Past questions are definitely the best way to go!

Congrats on your As grade and good luck with A2 ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physics Enemy)
    Yeah, having a bf/gf cheer you on always helps Focusing in class and making sure there's no/few gaps is key, as are past synoptic papers (any board/format) for the linear A-Levels.

Make sure you're watertight on written Qs (strict/pedantic markschemes). Lastly, use TSR, teachers etc for any Qs; however minor/major.
    Yes this is good advice!! I'd just make sure that you understand absolutely everything in the course and practice applying it to questions!!

ReputationRep:
    I got a C at AS (Though I was expecting a B minimum, hoping for A/A* next year)

I've just been rewriting my notes in a more organised way (They were a mess last year) and I'm going to start doing a few past papers to consolidate the AS knowledge.

My plan is to just write consise and organised notes as I go along, keeping my class notes separate, and making flash cards as we work through the specification. I'm just going to make sure I know what I'm doing anf recapping on what we have done so far every week or so something I struggled to do last year.

Basically, I'm trying to avoid cramming, which I had to do last year.

ReputationRep:
    Learn equations and definitions by heart. You'll start to see connections which helps you work out how to get started on questions you're not sure on.

ReputationRep:
    I should be able to help, as someone who did achieve the grades you are working for, but honestly I don't know. I did go through the books to understand the concepts and made notes and flashcards on it, then uploaded all my notes of Evernote to quickly read them while waiting for something (E.g. waiting to get lunch in the queue). Then past papers bit for AQA past papers weren't that helpful for the new sylabus, but still I did many of those. Some people recommend Isaac phsycis but I didn't really use that. Then there are video tutorials on https://www.alevelphysicsonline.com/

That website was great and aimed at OCR, but phsyics is just physics. Another thing is to look at other exam boards for papers and specimen papers, use physicsandmathstutor resources, theyre great.

Any questions you may have, ask your teachers and lastly know your formula book by heart, which formulae are you given? Which ones do you have to learn? Where are the electricity formulae? Also idk about OCR but for AQA circular motion and gravitational fields are two different topics, bit they overlap a lot, so make sure you're comfortable with using different parts of the sylabus to answer a question.

Also one last thing, if you need help on HOW to study, then look at Thomas Frank on YouTube and watch some of his videos on study advice. Also as my teacher used to say, RTBQ! Read the bloody question!!!!! It really does help

ReputationRep:
    I must admit, for the majority of my class who have took A2 OCR physics year 13 has been considerably better than year 12.
    OCR tend to cram all the really new and interesting concepts/topics into the 2nd year. Cosmology, Capacitors, Medical physics, etc...
    There is a larger workload for year 13 without a doubt and Physics is still the hardest subject I took but if you enjoy Physics it's definitely a good idea.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.