The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Any support or funding for students with migraines

Hi everyone. I am starting mathematics 3 years course this sept. i did foundation year in mmu and did maths 1st year at uni of manchester. I failed my june exams because of severe episodes of migraine during exams and had already failed one unit in jan exams so they didn't let me resit 5 units which i know its their rule but i wasn't given any compassionate adjustment because of my circumstances. I just wanted to ask that student who have studies at mmu and have migraines, how do you cope at uni and early classes as i get my migraines triggered by cold. Were u given any disability allowance fr migraines by uni. Do you get any support from uni . Hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance .
Did you submit an exceptional circumstances form? If so did you get a doctors letter for it as evidence too?

As for money, migraines don't qualify for any specific student disability payment however in student finance you have two options.

1, you can re sit the year and use your gift year. Every student has a gift year built into student finance so if you fail you can still be paid your money and tuition.

2, you can also submit a compelling personal reasons form. To do this you would need a doctors letter and to speak to your student finance advisor at uni. If granted not only will you get student finance next year but you won't use your gift year in case you need it in future.

Hope that helps you
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by paul514
Did you submit an exceptional circumstances form? If so did you get a doctors letter for it as evidence too?

As for money, migraines don't qualify for any specific student disability payment however in student finance you have two options.

1, you can re sit the year and use your gift year. Every student has a gift year built into student finance so if you fail you can still be paid your money and tuition.

2, you can also submit a compelling personal reasons form. To do this you would need a doctors letter and to speak to your student finance advisor at uni. If granted not only will you get student finance next year but you won't use your gift year in case you need it in future.

Hope that helps you

Hi student finance says because i changed university and didnt continue on a straight 4 year course my foundation year was classed as gift year and the year i failed i lost funding for that. I have applied for funding due to compelling reasons on monday with my new student finance applications but havent heard anything so i thought i double check if there is any support i can get fro MMU Because someone told me chronic migraines do class as disability as i have had them for more than 10 years now. Thanks for the reply again.
Original post by Aily M
Hi student finance says because i changed university and didnt continue on a straight 4 year course my foundation year was classed as gift year and the year i failed i lost funding for that. I have applied for funding due to compelling reasons on monday with my new student finance applications but havent heard anything so i thought i double check if there is any support i can get fro MMU Because someone told me chronic migraines do class as disability as i have had them for more than 10 years now. Thanks for the reply again.

I'd ask the student finance advisor about your gift year issue with student finance England, they may not be correct the people in the uni however are experts.

There's no way you will get financial support from the university for migraines but again you can ask the same lady but I already know the answer.

You could see if you qualify for employment and support allowance or personal independence payment. Simply go online and see if you qualify by looking at the questions they ask and add up your score.

If you do qualify for some you can get all sorts of different pots of money depending on which you qualify for.
The Migraine Trust may be able to help. You may be able to claim disability living allowance but I'm pretty sure that uni make no financial allowances.

Quick Reply

Latest