Unite students accommodation is awful Watch

username3495628
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I lived in the Stratford One building for two years and suffered endless problems. Living with 9 other people meant the kitchen was constantly a state (I don't know how some people refuse to clean up after themselves) but Unite ignored every single complaint I made. Only in my second year of living there, after countless complaints, did they arrange a 'flat meeting' - but of course, they didn't chase it up and no one showed for it. I dealt with this constantly with no assistance. When my parents came to help me move out they also complained to which the receptionist replied "but what do you want me to do about it".

In my first year of living there, I had to leave the country on very short notice due to a family emergency. I rang Unite and asked them not to carry out the standard room inspection on my room until I was back - they said that was fine and they made a note. But of course, they did inspect my room anyway. When I went downstairs to complain about this complete lack of respect, they were unhelpful and acted like it was my fault. They told me they did write down my request but the person who carried out the room inspections didn't read the notice and he couldn't be expected to miss my room out on my request. What was I paying for if not to be listened to and respected as a resident?? They never apologise and instead pass the blame. I never had a single issue resolved when I was there.

Even now, I've left the building as I've graduated university. My deposit was not returned to the original payer's bank account, which was my mum, but instead posted to me as a cheque made out in my name instead. They couldn't even do that simple task correctly.

These are just some of the issues I've faced. That's without mentioning the fact that the building sets no 'ground rules' for anyone who doesn't understand they need to clean up after themselves. The people who work there lack communication skills and the understanding that the building is meant to be our home.

I would seriously suggest people don't live in that accommodation. Not only is it incredibly expensive but the people who work there are rude and careless. They never took a single one of my requests seriously and never took any responsibility.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rayray25)
I lived in the Stratford One building for two years and suffered endless problems. Living with 9 other people meant the kitchen was constantly a state (I don't know how some people refuse to clean up after themselves) but Unite ignored every single complaint I made. Only in my second year of living there, after countless complaints, did they arrange a 'flat meeting' - but of course, they didn't chase it up and no one showed for it. I dealt with this constantly with no assistance. When my parents came to help me move out they also complained to which the receptionist replied "but what do you want me to do about it".

In my first year of living there, I had to leave the country on very short notice due to a family emergency. I rang Unite and asked them not to carry out the standard room inspection on my room until I was back - they said that was fine and they made a note. But of course, they did inspect my room anyway. When I went downstairs to complain about this complete lack of respect, they were unhelpful and acted like it was my fault. They told me they did write down my request but the person who carried out the room inspections didn't read the notice and he couldn't be expected to miss my room out on my request. What was I paying for if not to be listened to and respected as a resident?? They never apologise and instead pass the blame. I never had a single issue resolved when I was there.

Even now, I've left the building as I've graduated university. My deposit was not returned to the original payer's bank account, which was my mum, but instead posted to me as a cheque made out in my name instead. They couldn't even do that simple task correctly.

These are just some of the issues I've faced. That's without mentioning the fact that the building sets no 'ground rules' for anyone who doesn't understand they need to clean up after themselves. The people who work there lack communication skills and the understanding that the building is meant to be our home.

I would seriously suggest people don't live in that accommodation. Not only is it incredibly expensive but the people who work there are rude and careless. They never took a single one of my requests seriously and never took any responsibility.
The landlord has nothing to do with how tidy other residents are. That's up to you to organise as a flat - they can't force anyone to tidy up. The only thing they can do is charge residents at the end of the tenancy if the property isn't left in the same state as it was at the start of the tenancy.

They shouldn't be holding bank account details for your mum - so it's ridiculous that you expected them to do so. In fact, if they had I'm sure you'd be complaining about not adhering to data protection requirements. Posting a cheque is standard practise.

It might be expensive, but you knew this when you signed the contract.

Nothing in this post is a reason for others to not use Unite.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by username3495628)

Nothing you've described couldn't happen elsewhere. In virtually all halls there will be students who won't clean up after themselves. Even when there are ground rules people don't always take any notice. At my undergraduate accomodation we were threatened with a fine if our kitchen surfaces weren't clear when the cleaner came round. However that didn't stop one of my flatmates leaving her dirty washing lying around.

It's certainly easy to forget that one person has asked for a room inspection not to happen. At the end of the day what harm did it do to you? And at least your deposit was returned, thats more than some landlords would do. As it's perfectly reasonable for them to pay your deposit back to you.
lowprofile413
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's absolutely the worst student accommodation! Had similar experience as yours. They only emailed you a wide range of time and date that they would inspect your room, e.g. 10 am - 6 pm over the week. And it's you only one week term break! Even you ask for a more specific time they would just say not sure when they will inspect your room. It is ridiculous to ask a resident to only stay in his room from 10 am -6 pm over a week.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've not had a problem With unite at all. My shared flat had a meeting they organised after an inspection but that was after I moved to a studio part way through my contract. I don't see the problems.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PedroLagongero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I entirely agree, have been going through exactly the same type of careless and irresponsible treatment at Moonraker Point.
cbrblife
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Know a few people that have experienced the same thing actually. They ended up finding a place on Campusboard because it just seemed easier so if you're stuck might be worth checking them out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%