The Student Room Group

AS results - remarks, resits & do i still apply?

So I received my as results on thursday hoping for 3 A's and I was expecting a fail in my fourth subject (physics). I got B's in chemistry and biology, A in english lit and lang and a D in physics. Originally I was hoping to apply for medicine so was reliant on getting 3 A's to strengthen my application as I just scraped 7 A*'s and A's at GCSE. In individual papers for chem and biol, I got an A and B in chem unit 1&2 and in biol i got an A and C (will post UMS and raw marks later in thread when I find my results). So from memory I'm pretty close to the A in chem anyway and I know as are only 40%. As I'm dropping physics, do you think it's wise for me to continue to apply for medicine and resit the C in biology and get a priority remark on any papers that are near the boundary to secure an A? Or am I better off applying for a less competitive course such as pharmacy as it would be less of a risk (and less expensive between UKCAT and BMAT). Any advice is welcome on what to do with my results as it feels like a bit of a stalemate.
Reply 1
Original post by rebeccajmdavies
So I received my as results on thursday hoping for 3 A's and I was expecting a fail in my fourth subject (physics). I got B's in chemistry and biology, A in english lit and lang and a D in physics. Originally I was hoping to apply for medicine so was reliant on getting 3 A's to strengthen my application as I just scraped 7 A*'s and A's at GCSE. In individual papers for chem and biol, I got an A and B in chem unit 1&2 and in biol i got an A and C (will post UMS and raw marks later in thread when I find my results). So from memory I'm pretty close to the A in chem anyway and I know as are only 40%. As I'm dropping physics, do you think it's wise for me to continue to apply for medicine and resit the C in biology and get a priority remark on any papers that are near the boundary to secure an A? Or am I better off applying for a less competitive course such as pharmacy as it would be less of a risk (and less expensive between UKCAT and BMAT). Any advice is welcome on what to do with my results as it feels like a bit of a stalemate.

AS don't count for your final A level grade anymore.

All you need is a prediction of 3 A grades otherwise it's a straight rejection

There's literally no point in retaking AS.
Original post by SGHD26716
AS don't count for your final A level grade anymore.

All you need is a prediction of 3 A grades otherwise it's a straight rejection

There's literally no point in retaking AS.

I'm in Wales - I thought it was different. My prediction at the beginning of this year was ABBA
Reply 3
I'm in Wales - I thought it was different. My prediction at the beginning of this year was ABBA

I don't know about the system in Wales. Sorry.
Reply 4

You actually did fine in all honesty and many Universities will not be looking at AS grades which is helpful. I believe next year your subjects that you have taken are linear so you can definitely improve upon those grades, with regards to that that I have created a thread as I was in a very similar position to you with some tips I came across from my revision in improving my AS grades feel free to have a look https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4886358
You can definitely still apply for Medicine I didn't even score too highly in my UKCAT with an average of 643 so yes go for it if you sincerely want to get there! Please do ask if anything didn't make sense or any other questions : )
Original post by Maz A
You actually did fine in all honesty and many Universities will not be looking at AS grades which is helpful. I believe next year your subjects that you have taken are linear so you can definitely improve upon those grades, with regards to that that I have created a thread as I was in a very similar position to you with some tips I came across from my revision in improving my AS grades feel free to have a look https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4886358
You can definitely still apply for Medicine I didn't even score too highly in my UKCAT with an average of 643 so yes go for it if you sincerely want to get there! Please do ask if anything didn't make sense or any other questions : )

Thank you so much! That was so encouraging I really appreciate it!
Reply 6
Thank you so much! That was so encouraging I really appreciate it!

No worries glad to help anything else do ask : )

Quick Reply

Latest